New to R2R and Chiming in.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Folks,
Been around a while in fresh water tanks since I was a kid but been working on this custom tank I picked up little less than a year ago (44 x 24 x 24). I started with a small JBJ cube and learned the basics and got that stable and it was all down hill from there, I was bit by the bug and needed something bigger. With the resent purchase of some high end SPS I am just adding another laying to the setup and enjoying every minute. Thought I would share and open it up to the lovers and haters out there so let me know your thoughts.

Under, in and on the tank is a Simplicity 225 sump, Reef Octopus skimmer, Aqua Max Phosphate reactor, auto topoff, and Ecotech MP40. Lighting is two Radion XR30 gen 3. There is a mix of about 40-45lbs of live rock some made out of old oceanic rocks that had been dry for years and some Real Reef live rock. Too many corals to list but all unique and my favorites.

Live stock:
Picasso Clown
Flame Hawk
(2) Lyretail Anthias(1 female, 1 just starting male transition)
Powder Blue Tang
Diamond Goby
Red Roster Pygmy Waspfish
Sixline Wrasse
Coral Banded Shrimp
lots of little cleaning critters: trochus snails, sand sifting snails, bumble bee snails, hermit crabs reef and scarlet

Well let the comments fly and lets hear what you got to say. But thank you for letting me introduce myself.

ANGle.jpg

FUll.jpg

NEM.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Corey!

That is a beautiful looking tank - well established and chuggin' along. Count me among the lovers for that one!

Welcome to Big Tang, as well. The "coral thing" you're asking about is a zooanthid. There are at least several hundred named varieties of them, and I'm not sure which one that is - but Reef2Reef has a subforum dedicated to them, and to asking for IDs of the many morphs.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Corey Baker

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the good words!! I can post some more detailed picture of things a little later but wanted to see what you all had to say. I thought for sure there would be a troll or two. Nice to find a forum not stocked full of them. CHEERS!

OP
OP
Corey Baker

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not sure if anyone would be interested but figured for my own amusement i would post an update since i first entered into R2R back in August.

Had a mishap in the tank that still to this day not sure what the cause was. but lost a few of the inhabitants all within a 24hr period... Powder blue and one lyretail didn't make it along with the sixline(which i was looking at getting out of the tank because he was a real jerk). So a scrubbed rock(getting rid of some that just seemed suspect) and vacuumed sand really well and kept checking levels and things were all good for a couple months so i stated adding in some new tanks mates.

Since i lost one Lyretail that was mid transition to male i picked up a fully transitioned male. Took the opportunity also to do some rearranging of the tank. probably not to the majorities liking but isn't this hobby all about what we like individually and what makes each tank so different and awesome in their own? Since last posting i have turned to the SPS side and started really stocking up on those.

New Tank Mates:
Sailfin Tang
Mystery Wrasse
Starry BlennyBorbonias
Harlequin Sweetlips
(all new additions have been doing well and very healthy eaters)

So to what we all are here for.... PICS! let me know what you think.

IMG_5955.JPG
IMG_5958.JPG
IMG_5781.JPG

TheNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Folks,
Been around a while in fresh water tanks since I was a kid but been working on this custom tank I picked up little less than a year ago (44 x 24 x 24). I started with a small JBJ cube and learned the basics and got that stable and it was all down hill from there, I was bit by the bug and needed something bigger. With the resent purchase of some high end SPS I am just adding another laying to the setup and enjoying every minute. Thought I would share and open it up to the lovers and haters out there so let me know your thoughts.

Under, in and on the tank is a Simplicity 225 sump, Reef Octopus skimmer, Aqua Max Phosphate reactor, auto topoff, and Ecotech MP40. Lighting is two Radion XR30 gen 3. There is a mix of about 40-45lbs of live rock some made out of old oceanic rocks that had been dry for years and some Real Reef live rock. Too many corals to list but all unique and my favorites.

Live stock:
Picasso Clown
Flame Hawk
(2) Lyretail Anthias(1 female, 1 just starting male transition)
Powder Blue Tang
Diamond Goby
Red Roster Pygmy Waspfish
Sixline Wrasse
Coral Banded Shrimp
lots of little cleaning critters: trochus snails, sand sifting snails, bumble bee snails, hermit crabs reef and scarlet

Well let the comments fly and lets hear what you got to say. But thank you for letting me introduce myself.

ANGle.jpg

FUll.jpg

NEM.jpg
Beautiful tank! Welcome!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back