New to R2R/ Blue Hippo Tang Question

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, My name is Lisa. I'm pretty new to reefing. I currently have a 200g tank with a variety tangs, clownfish, wrasses and goby's that are all thriving. I've attempted to add a Blue Hippo Tang 3 times because the grandchildren really love to watch "Dory" swim. Each time, the tang (purchased from 3 different local stores) has died within a few days. The water was taken to our local store and all was fine.

The grandchildren have been searching the tank for "Dory" and I have not had the heart to tell them of her demise. Can someone please, please help with what is needed to know before I purchase a 4th Blue Hippo tang?

Thanks in advance

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

ideally, the first thing you want is if the source you're getting the blue hippo tang from is trustworthy. do they have a quarantine protocol? are their fish wild caught? can you physically watch as they feed the fish to see if its eating? are there any observable traits/behaviors that insinuate an unhealthy fish (ich, velvet, etc)? do you trust your LFS to maintain/clean their water testing system (assuming they use the spintest) and provide you with accurate results? in the 3 instances you've added this fish into the tank, have you seen any other fish chase/bully the hippo? stress is a silent killer!

OP
OP
D

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ideally, the first thing you want is if the source you're getting the blue hippo tang from is trustworthy. do they have a quarantine protocol? are their fish wild caught? can you physically watch as they feed the fish to see if its eating? are there any observable traits/behaviors that insinuate an unhealthy fish (ich, velvet, etc)? do you trust your LFS to maintain/clean their water testing system (assuming they use the spintest) and provide you with accurate results? in the 3 instances you've added this fish into the tank, have you seen any other fish chase/bully the hippo? stress is a silent killer!

Thank you for your advice! I plan to purchase another tang soon. I have a smaller 29g tank with a couple of smaller saltwater fish and coral. I'm not sure if putting it in there will be better or not because I've heard blue hippo tangs can grow to a nice size.

I will make sure to observe the company prior to purchasing. Recommendations for a good place to purchase are welcomed.

OP
OP
D

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, is it better to purchase more than one from the same tank at a time or not?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, My name is Lisa. I'm pretty new to reefing. I currently have a 200g tank with a variety tangs, clownfish, wrasses and goby's that are all thriving. I've attempted to add a Blue Hippo Tang 3 times because the grandchildren really love to watch "Dory" swim. Each time, the tang (purchased from 3 different local stores) has died within a few days. The water was taken to our local store and all was fine.

The grandchildren have been searching the tank for "Dory" and I have not had the heart to tell them of her demise. Can someone please, please help with what is needed to know before I purchase a 4th Blue Hippo tang?

Thanks in advance
Welcome!

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome Lisa!
IMG_9144.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you for your advice! I plan to purchase another tang soon. I have a smaller 29g tank with a couple of smaller saltwater fish and coral. I'm not sure if putting it in there will be better or not because I've heard blue hippo tangs can grow to a nice size.

I will make sure to observe the company prior to purchasing. Recommendations for a good place to purchase are welcomed.
you can place it in the 29g for observation/quarantining. but yes, they do need bigger tanks once fully grown. i have a 3, going on 4" tomini tang in a 40B. it's been fine so far, but it will be rehomed to a 60G cube, or a bigger tank(perhaps a local hobbyist will want it. have 2 people interested! :))
Also, is it better to purchase more than one from the same tank at a time or not?
i wouldn't. one at a time, hoping that the first would be your last!

OP
OP
D

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can place it in the 29g for observation/quarantining. but yes, they do need bigger tanks once fully grown. i have a 3, going on 4" tomini tang in a 40B. it's been fine so far, but it will be rehomed to a 60G cube, or a bigger tank(perhaps a local hobbyist will want it. have 2 people interested! :))

i wouldn't. one at a time, hoping that the first would be your last!
Thank you so much!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach out to vendors on the Humble.fish Approved Quarantined vendor list here:

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?forums/#quarantined-livestock-vendors.30
My vendor of choice is fishotel.com. You can find them on that forum above and request the fish you want. The process that fishotel and humblefish put together is rock solid.

Or Marine Collectors here:
https://www.marinecollectors.com/
Every fish here is very very healthy.

I've sourced from both Fishotel via humblefish and marine collectors.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing! Good Luck with "Dory".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks in advance
How are you acclimating the fish and for how long?
Are you equalizing the salinity in bag with that of the tank?
At store of purchase, have you observed it eat before purchase?
Any pics of any of the fish prior to loss?

OP
OP
D

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating the fish and for how long?
Are you equalizing the salinity in bag with that of the tank?
At store of purchase, have you observed it eat before purchase?
Any pics of any of the fish prior to loss?
Hello, I followed the directions of the store. The fish were acclimated for approximately 30 mins. with water added to the bag from the tank every 10 min. I did not observe the fish while in the store. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the fish prior to loss. I do, however, plan to observe the fish prior to purchasing in the future.

OP
OP
D

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else said they are shy and therefore need a place to hide. Are the other tangs picking on it?
The tank is 200g with plenty of hiding places. I did not observe the other tangs bullying. However, that is something that I will definitely look for in the future. Thank you for your response!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back