New to R2R from Portland

OregonReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - Posting a wazzup to R2R. I don't join a lot of forums these days because I do much more reading than talking, and I've mastered the Search button haha. But I hear this is a positive place so I figured what the heck.

I started my first aquarium some time in the 80's. If I saw it today, I'm sure it would look like I drained a swamp into a glass box full of busted up concrete and dirt and threw some sticks in. Fast forward 20 years or so and I built my first reef. I made a lot of mistakes by compromising on the wrong things. Expensive learning experience for sure.

I got back into the hobby about a year ago with a 20 gallon that I intended to be a FOWLR and maybe a few mushrooms....Like most things, I've completely overdone it and ended up putting together something that really can't be appreciated by people who just look at the fish haha. Particularly my wife.

Here's my setup:

Nuvo 20 Gallon
2x MP10
1x Radion XR30w Pro
2x Neptune DOS (continuous water change, 2-part dosing)
Apex everything

Critters:

Mostly SPS, few LPS and random bits
Clownfish, firefish, blenny, wrasse, and a couple shrimp

Every little thing I've done over the past year has helped the tank come together. I'm starting to see my tiny frags (oddly, I'm a super cheap butt when it comes to livestock) start to really take off. I haven't lost anything major along the way so I feel like my reefcraft is pretty solid and patience is paying off.

I'm not posting a bunch of pics today because I went and scratched the back of the tank all up with a scraper last night and I'm super upset about it. When I've dealt with that situation maybe I'll share a bit more, and show how I crammed all this gear into a tiny little space and made it look pretty clean.

Thanks for reading - Matt aka OregonReefer

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and sorry about the glass!

OP
OP
OregonReefer

OregonReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome. Trying to justify not leak testing my replacement 20gal at the moment...Pictures of epic new tank incoming, or perhaps tragic "I should have leak tested" thread. Stay tuned...

OP
OP
OregonReefer

OregonReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I did the right thing and leak tested the tank which was a good call because I cracked my old tank when I set it down on my counter. If the new one had leaked I would have been upset. Much fiddling and 3 days later the tank looks pretty good. I lost a fish that made a run right into the inlet of a powerhead in my holding container but that was the only casualty.

I made about a bazillion changes in the last couple weeks which was not ideal but seems I pulled it off. Here are a couple cruddy iPhone pics. Pardon the haphazard coral placement. I'm cooking another rock to fill things in a bit so my frags are just wherever at the moment.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back