New to R2R new start with Biocube

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I don't have but maybe a month in a half of experience with a salt water tank but I have to admit it has me hooked on already I want to upgrade to the biggest possible but I think im going to get my biocube under control first lol I will post a few pics below. I don't have much life in the tank yet I just finished my cycle so there is a little not a lot . I have 1 blue leg hermit, 1 brittle star those where hitchhikers off the LR. I've added 1 turbo snail 1 nass snail a yellowtail damsel that is really mean for some reason. I just added in there about 4 days ago a coral banded shrimp and a purple tip condy anemone as well as another little fish but he became the anemone food when he came to close. Let me know what you all think yup to this point if I should change anything or add anything or get rid of anything all your input is education to me so its very appreciative. Thanks for looking That is my rock scape minus the rick in the from center that is a turkey wing clam I was told. also a hitchhiker the shells are empty just another home choice for my hermit My cery first coral My seastar everything I have in the tank is stock lights filtration everything is stock it had about 30 pounds of LR and 25 pounds of dry live rock 40 pounds of carrib direct ocean live sand and that's about it please let me know how I'm doing Thanks agian

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya and welcome to the wonderfully addicting world of reefing! :)
This is just my opinion ok. But your stalk lighting may not be enough for your anemone. Condy's require high light like that found with metal halides, they also get quit large.
With that and a Damsel fish who are known to be semi-aggressive your going to be very limited as to what you can put into your tank. Especially in a smaller tank ;) Fish have weird habits of darting around when they get spooked as you've already found out. Sorry for your loss :(
Before you get to attached I'd rethink those two inhabitants.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that, I have the damsel going to a LFS as a trade offer lol only because how aggressive he is and my 2 year old really want a clown ( nemo) and i will have to look into getting the anemone a new home.

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll enjoy the 29. I have mine stuffed! I think there great lil tanks (with all the upgrades) lol

sent from my Note II using tapatalk 4 beta

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that, I have the damsel going to a LFS as a trade offer lol only because how aggressive he is and my 2 year old really want a clown ( nemo) and i will have to look into getting the anemone a new home.

Very wise grasshopper-lol Your opening yourself up to a much better selection of live stock and empty pockets :)
Enjoy and have fun!!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Welcome to R2R!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say Thank you for all the warm welcomes, as well as sorry I have not updated in a while. The tank has been busy it got a medium sized CUC from Reefcleaner.org. They where really good sent me more then I should have got though some did not make the journey. They have been eating everything. Added 2 more blue leg hermit crabs there about the size of your thumb nail. Just put a GSP in there ( I love that coral the way it looks is so cool). My clown pair are doing beautifully they love there little flower pot. My brittle sea star and banded shrimp are doing good getting bigger and bigger after each passing day. I do have one question. What is a good feed schedule atm I'm feeding once or twice a day I don't know if that's to much with such little inhabitants in the tank. Here is a FTS of the progress of everything little has changed maybe the rock scape but nothing to much. This little girly is my female clown and she is getting bigger each day also, She like to be abusive to her mate more often then I like Just let me know what you guys & gals think. Any advice is much appreciated as its all a learning process for me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
( Bump) Having a huge issue with theses Flatworms there really a Pain in the A**.... I don't want to use chemicals in my tank I'm going to get a six line wrasse maybe a blue velvet but I don't want to stave it so I may get it then sell it to anyone on here who wants it for 1/2 the price as long as there in MD if you have any suggestion's please please please help/share.

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to post some updated pictures of the tank. I just added a six line Wrasse to the tank very interesting fish to say the least. As well as a Pulsing Xenia ( spelling) Frag. Love that coral its soo neat. Also two pink schooling fish not sure what they are so I will post in here and as a ID to find out. Hope you all enjoy. The cloudiness in the picture is not the tank its my cell phone camera lens it needs to be cleaned. My other favorite coral My GSP My coral Banded shrimp ( thinking about getting rid of him/her) The best I could get of the six line wrasse he's found him self a hole and made it his home. This is the fish that is unknown I got 2 of them they where $10 each. This is the same type of fish just the other on and a front view (bump)

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just wanted to update my chronicle with a few pictures. My Gsp was pouting for a few days and had me a little worried but he's slowly opening up and getting a little bigger, I no longer have my CBS ( coral banded shrimp) At the moment I'm looking for a new home and someone who can maintain and take the time for 2 beautiful Purple Queen Anthia's Hate to get rid of them but I don't want them to perish due to my lack of knowledge and skills. There is a new inhabitant that I cant stop watching I'm so excited to have him. Its a Orange spotted Goby. I been trying to find more info on there care but can't seem to find any. I will be adding a Yellow Watchmen Goby in the upcoming weeks I been wanting that fish since before I started my tank. My clowns are getting bigger and are in love with there home ( thank Diana my clowns thank you as well).
Its a bit blurry but my clown fish decided he wanted to Photo Bomb my picture and thought it was really fun he stayed doing it for about 10 minutes until I took the picture.

This is my new guy. He is so cool looking.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you've really done your homework to know what will work in your tank. It's important to know when something isn't working. As far as the GSP and pulsing zenia, just be aware that they both grow quickly and the Xenia can start to take over a small tank I have GSP in my 12g nano without a problem. It's easier to prune back than Xenia from what I've read. Good luck!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't put a Watchman goby in with your other goby. Watchman's can be territory aggressive with a max size of 4" Never a good idea to have 2 burrowing goby's in a smaller tank. May I suggest you acquire a Pistol Shrimp to go along with your Orange Spot Goby :) You could also try a Purple or Orange Fire Fish, very beautiful!
Before you buy anything please come here first and ask us about compatibility. Unlike the LFS we are not trying to make a sale and have only the critters and your best interest in mind :)

OP
OP
jkef2010

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've Picked Up a Pistol Shrimp for my Orange Spotted Goby and they already have a bond. I can't get no pictures yet of the shrimp because he is hard at work. But the goby is on guard every new hole he introduces I have some more pictures of the tank as well as a new Feather Duster I do not know the type of the duster if you could tell me that would be great. other then that enjoy and please any suggestions are always great. Sorry for the camera quality pictures my camera is not good at tank shots but better then my phone. Enjoy!My Feather Duster I don't know what type it is ( if you could tell me it would be appreciated)

My pulsing Xiena (Love this thing)

A Snail Eating some Green Algae on the glass.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back