New to R2R! Started out strong!

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am so very excited to be here!

My name is Mark and I am brand new to reefing! I live in Central Pennsylvania, work full-time, and I am a full-time student so I am looking for a bit of a 'creative' outlet. I have wanted a reef tank since I was younger and finally took the plunge. I am extremely diligent on researching but unfortunately I am running into some questions that seem a bit more difficult to find.

I am starting with the 5 gallon Fluval Evo. Before I go any further I would like to let everyone know I am well aware of the struggles surrounding a smaller tank, saltwater, and reef. I am planning a move late 2022 to San Diego and do not want the troubles of moving a large tank. With this being said, I would like to stray from any unproductive and negative comments regarding nano/pico.

My tank has cycled a few months back and I have added a blue legged hermit and a clown to my tank, my water levels have been holding steady except for one, my KH. See below for my numbers and any helpful tips on lowering KH levels would be helpful!

PH- 8.1
Temp. 77.5
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0.00 ppm
Nitrate 0.10 ppm
Salinity 1.026
Calcium 440
KH 16
Phosphate 0.25 ppm

Thanks for any information and I look forward to learning so much more!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am so very excited to be here!

My name is Mark and I am brand new to reefing! I live in Central Pennsylvania, work full-time, and I am a full-time student so I am looking for a bit of a 'creative' outlet. I have wanted a reef tank since I was younger and finally took the plunge. I am extremely diligent on researching but unfortunately I am running into some questions that seem a bit more difficult to find.

I am starting with the 5 gallon Fluval Evo. Before I go any further I would like to let everyone know I am well aware of the struggles surrounding a smaller tank, saltwater, and reef. I am planning a move late 2022 to San Diego and do not want the troubles of moving a large tank. With this being said, I would like to stray from any unproductive and negative comments regarding nano/pico.

My tank has cycled a few months back and I have added a blue legged hermit and a clown to my tank, my water levels have been holding steady except for one, my KH. See below for my numbers and any helpful tips on lowering KH levels would be helpful!

PH- 8.1
Temp. 77.5
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 0.00 ppm
Nitrate 0.10 ppm
Salinity 1.026
Calcium 440
KH 16
Phosphate 0.25 ppm

Thanks for any information and I look forward to learning so much more!
Welcome.

What test kit are you using? What salt brand for mixing salt? and what are you using to measure salinity? Could be a few things here with just testing, as 16 is a tad high.

Also, are you using RODI and mixing with salt? Tap with Salt? or buying pre mixed water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newreefer88

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

What test kit are you using? What salt brand for mixing salt? and what are you using to measure salinity? Could be a few things here with just testing, as 16 is a tad high.

Also, are you using RODI and mixing with salt? Tap with Salt? or buying pre mixed water.
Hey Steve! I am using the standard saltwater and reef API kits that I bought from my local PetCo with their boxed ocean water since I am limited on time. As far as my salinity testing, I've been using a $20 refractometer I bought off of Amazon. Water changes and topoff I've been using distilled water from the local grocery store.

Thanks so much for the help!

I read a few different places that adding a small beginner coral may decrease my numbers a bit?

Upvote 0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve! I am using the standard saltwater and reef API kits that I bought from my local PetCo with their boxed ocean water since I am limited on time. As far as my salinity testing, I've been using a $20 refractometer I bought off of Amazon. Water changes and topoff I've been using distilled water from the local grocery store.

Thanks so much for the help!

I read a few different places that adding a small beginner coral may decrease my numbers a bit?
Is there a good LFS nearby? If so, I would suggest taking your water there to test and see what they say about the parameters. The boxed ocean water I have tested before usually comes in around 7-7.5 for alk and is somewhat low on calcium.

API is not that bad of a test kit as everyone makes it out to be. It is not the most exact, but will usually get you very close to alk and calcium.

Another thing I forgot to ask was if you were dosing anything. Any PH buffer or anything like that? As most store bought PH buffers will raise alk at the same time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newreefer88

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good LFS nearby? If so, I would suggest taking your water there to test and see what they say about the parameters. The boxed ocean water I have tested before usually comes in around 7-7.5 for alk and is somewhat low on calcium.

API is not that bad of a test kit as everyone makes it out to be. It is not the most exact, but will usually get you very close to alk and calcium.

Another thing I forgot to ask was if you were dosing anything. Any PH buffer or anything like that? As most store bought PH buffers will raise alk at the same time.
Sounds great, I will have it tested. Not dosing or adding anything... it has me so puzzled haha. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
newreefer88

newreefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I’d be interested in what you’re using to test with. Also are you using RODI and have 0 TDS? I’m no expert but just thinking if your KH was that high your PH would be higher. I’m interested in what others think!
Hey thank you! I'm using the saltwater and reef API kits and I use distilled/boxed ocean water from PetCo as I don't have the time for anything else right now. I was also thinking my PH would be at least a bit higher with a 16.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back