new to R2R

fragspawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the hobby about 13 years ago. I started with a 2.5 gallon nano, moved up to a 54, then a 120. Unfortunately, we had to move and I knew I had to downsize, so I fragged most of my corals and dropped down to a 30G cube. All of my acro's bleached and died, and I was left with a cluster of zoa's and some gsp. We moved again out to an acreage, where water quality was hit and miss, so I got out of the hobby (about 9 years ago). Well, time marched on, upgrades have been done to the house, and I installed a good R.O. system, and a year ago decided to get back into it. It has been a bit of a bumpy entrance, but things are coming around. I started back with a small bow front nano. It started leaking, so I decided to try to upgrade to my old 30g cube. I drilled the cube, put in an overflow and made a small sump. Transferred things over and voila, everything died. So, I am not too sure if there was something wrong with it from the first time, but I ordered a custom 56G starfire front, along with a 33G sump/fuge and started again. I will try to get some photos of the set up and tank posted.

This is of the bow front nano. Things were going quite well. Good growth and colour.
2015-01-24 12.24.24 HDR.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like them, but I love gsp.
2015-01-24 12.23.25 HDR.jpg

Montipora's always grow fast with good colour.
2015-01-24 12.24.13 HDR.jpg

And then I transferred and it all died.

This is the new 56G with a Maxspect 130W 15K.
2015-04-29 11.58.22.jpg

Gsp was the first frag I added. I couldn't wait for the tank to cycle. I know, bad! I used the one piece of live rock from the nano, and the rest was all synthetic which I was waiting to be seeded. This was April 29.

This is May 8. See how impatient I am. I know I should wait, but I don't.
2015-05-08 19.09.18.jpg

This is from July. I upgraded to the 180W 15K Max. A bit of algae on the substrate.
2015-07-11 12.45.39.jpg

August 15, 2015.
2015-08-15 15.12.37.jpg

December 2015.
2015-12-31 15.33.47.jpg

I sadly do not have a newer shot. I'll try to get one in the next few days. The rock has seeded quite will, and as you can see the corals are starting to grow. I did have one faceplant on the sand, and was too busy to notice for a day, so, it died. You can see it bottom right. I have this purple crab that came in as a hitchhiker with black pinchers. He has been happy eating all the algae. No fish or shrimp. But he is a brute and loves to knock things over. I haven't wanted to glue/epoxy things yet, as I'd like to frag and spread the corals around the tank. Just haven't had time. Anyway, thanks for any input.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back