OP
OP
DBell45

DBell45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hade a thread that I created yesterday on one of the forums here, but I haven't got an answer yet so I'll post it here. I have a rocky beauty angelfish that I've had since Tuesday, She is a beautiful fish and eats everything I offer( omega one marine pellets with garlic, rods frozen see food mix, Nls algae max, omega one marine flakes, brine and mysis shrimp), What I'm wanting to know is how difficult they really are to keep, because everything I read are horror stories, but all that's old info dated far back as 2003. Is anyone familiar with this fish, Are the way they're handled now different from then, Because mine seems to be very hardy. She's in quarantine and she still looks great.I have three other fish in my display (Niger triggerfish, he ate my two domino damsels when they were in quarantine together but very peaceful, a yellow tang only shows mild aggression towards the trigger and a coral beauty angel:docile) if anyone can give me some insight of there experience with this fish will be greatly appreciated.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hade a thread that I created yesterday on one of the forums here, but I haven't got an answer yet so I'll post it here. I have a rocky beauty angelfish that I've had since Tuesday, She is a beautiful fish and eats everything I offer( omega one marine pellets with garlic, rods frozen see food mix, Nls algae max, omega one marine flakes, brine and mysis shrimp), What I'm wanting to know is how difficult they really are to keep, because everything I read are horror stories, but all that's old info dated far back as 2003. Is anyone familiar with this fish, Are the way they're handled now different from then, Because mine seems to be very hardy. She's in quarantine and she still looks great.I have three other fish in my display (Niger triggerfish, he ate my two domino damsels when they were in quarantine together but very peaceful, a yellow tang only shows mild aggression towards the trigger and a coral beauty angel:docile) if anyone can give me some insight of there experience with this fish will be greatly appreciated.

First of all, welcome home to R2R.

Second of all, once established, Rock Beauty angels are pretty hardy. They're not as hardy as some of their other "large angel" cousins, however. By this I mean that some negligence in water changes or water quality can take them out before it will a few others although they're reasonably hardy. I actually think their hardiness is a lot like potters Angels, perhaps even easier. Once established both can be very healthy and hardy.

The trick is getting them to eat and getting them proper nutrition. Angel formula with sponge is critical for rock beauty Angels (as it is for many large Angels but particularly with rock beauty). There are two brands of angel formula I cannot remember the names but I think one is hikari and the other is ocean nutrition? Frozen foods.

I avoid pellets and flakes by and large because most do not provide proper nutrition for these fish, especially if they're a primary staple of their diet. As always, nori is a good bet. I've found that red nori is much more appealing to Angels, moorish idol, and some acanthurus tangs (like Achilles) than green or brown algae. Thus, to get them started on nori I would try this offering. For my fish, at least 60% of their diet is nori. Even my wrasse tank throws down. I feed them more meaty foods but my tang and angel tanks have a steady flow of green and red nori purchased in bulk.

OP
OP
DBell45

DBell45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought sallys seaweed but she wouldn't eat it, she nibbled at it, that's about it. I gonna get nori, I'm in Jonesboro, Arkansas and all we have is Petco and a local fish shop and neither one has food with sponge in it, I've seen places on line that have it, But is it safe to order because I don't know if they will pack it in dry ice or ship it just any type of way. Hard to say with these companies these days, but I'm gonna look in to it even if I have to call them and see how they ship. By the way do you know if this species of angel is still being wild caught or born in captivity?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome2.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back