New to R2R!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun!!!
send pics!!...we all love pics!!!!
try to take as much established water as you can before you disturb sand bed,happy eefing

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PicsArt_04-06-12.01.10.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Very excited to be here, I am starting out brand new in this hobby! I started doing research about a month ago and now with all that is going on in the world I decided I wanted a new hobby that I could devote time to and learn & have fun doing it. So here I am! I have agreed to purchase a Red Sea 250 (picture below) with everything included except the large light in the middle.
Comes with: (text with seller) I have some video too...
“Comes with tank. Stand. Sump. Jebao Powerheads. Rw4 x2 and scp90 1k grye. All the rocks and whatever corals on the rocks. Skimmer. Return pump. Heater. Fishes 2 clown fishes. 6 line wrasse. 3 chromos. Bunch of random stuff I had with the tank.”

The move is approximately 20 miles. I know I should have new live sand saltwater prepared... Question should I get pre-made saltwater (if so which kind) make saltwater from tap & treat (don’t have RO system yet) or can make saltwater using distilled water?

I appreciate and look forward to any and all help from this group of knowledge.

Thanks,

Al
F0B673C6-1640-424A-A138-D0F3C47D2A20.jpeg
this is interesting. is it still set up at the seller's house. if so can you transport 50 to 60 gallons of water? say sealable 5 gal buckets? are you able to separate the rock work into pieces for transport. you need to keep the fish alive, protect the corals from damage, be able to keep water aerated during the move. interesting. has your research solved the logistic issues of electric, food, water changes, protecting the floor, placement in your home, things like that? Mostly i want to say ENJOY!

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Yes still set up at sellers home, planning on taking as much water as possible via Large Garbage pales and 5G buckets. The move is only about 15 miles but need to work on Air for the rocks & water (are there battery operated air pumps?) Will bag fish and livestock into baggies like a store and put in cooler with hand heater taped to top for temp control... Changing my electrical outlet today, know where the tank is going (on carpet ) looking for a mat for underneath. I am placing an order today for new live sand and sea water and food. What tests kits should I purchase? And what other items may be needed?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Yes still set up at sellers home, planning on taking as much water as possible via Large Garbage pales and 5G buckets. The move is only about 15 miles but need to work on Air for the rocks & water (are there battery operated air pumps?) Will bag fish and livestock into baggies like a store and put in cooler with hand heater taped to top for temp control... Changing my electrical outlet today, know where the tank is going (on carpet ) looking for a mat for underneath. I am placing an order today for new live sand and sea water and food. What tests kits should I purchase? And what other items may be needed?
think about whether the carpet will be stable, sometimes water gets on it, the pad compresses unevenly etc. there are battery air pumps but sometimes there are car adapters for the vehicle which would work. either cigarette lighter or utility outlets. siphon out as much as possible with out disturbing the sand then throw away the rest of the water from the sand and bucket the sand and anything else in the bottom. how long has the seller had it set up. if not very long that might change the decision to keep the sand. sometimes it is advisable to replace it rather than deal with reusing. ask around. oh wait, i just noticed that you are buying new sand. testing is important. what is the seller testing for? will the Random stuff he mentions include any test gear? in my opinion after you get through the cycle testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, you need to test for salinity, nitrates, alkalinity, as a minimum, i am getting magnesium and calcium testers. I have just started adding corals, so those are recommended. remember, research never ends.

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcome.Saturday can’t get here soon enough, ok wife is onboard 100% now and want to get involved in tank placement. See likes it here. See attached pictures. I can keep direct sunlight away most of the day... Would this work? Again Red Sea Reefer... the patio door is to the left of where the tank would go...
AD5AD3C6-D874-4886-AF29-689E405DD5E3.jpeg
EB8DE905-4770-4939-A76F-669F9A64D463.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think you will be fine there,worst case ,can always adjust blinds :)
you should take a bunch of pics ,start a build thread:cool: pick a cool name for thread ,have fun saturday is coming soon!!!
stay safe..help for a build thread if wanted @Peace River ,happy reefing

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All here is the link to my build thread!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All here is the link to my build thread!

Nice start! If you're interested, you can copy the URL of your build thread into your profile so that you can have a banner that works as a quick link to the thread.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Never use tap water ever. Distilled water and mix or LFS with premixed are your best bets till you get an RODI system in place...
I see you have a tank build thread...Awesome!! I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread. 1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby. 2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank. 3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back