New to R2R

Salis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this forum looking to confirm some new tank cycle info and thoughts I had. Reading online some info seems conflicting and a bit misleading. This was the first one that seemed common sense based and confirmed what I was thinking that my tank has to basically go through a biological cycle which is more or less predictable, and many of the test kits are not accurate, or just plain difficult to read.
Anyway, have had fresh water setups most of my life, a 50g fish only salt some years ago but had to move, therefore sold the occupants at the time (Tangs, Angels, Copperband, Clowns).
Just moved into a new house last year and will now try again. 125 gallon, FX4 with only bio in it until I have the sump ready, have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 waiting. Tank has been running for 4 weeks with dry rock and bio culture. Seems to be ok now, Salinity 1.025, Ph 8.2, Ammonia .25 (by the API test kit), Nitrate 5 to 10.
Plan on a few fish, not too many and some corals as time progresses, haven't done that before so here's to reading a lot and learning.
Preemptively saying thanks for the future help!

PS I am humbled looking at the setups on this site......staggering beauty and skill!

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!!!
0A3DDF4E-D63C-4006-8FE1-10044B85B9A5.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this forum looking to confirm some new tank cycle info and thoughts I had. Reading online some info seems conflicting and a bit misleading. This was the first one that seemed common sense based and confirmed what I was thinking that my tank has to basically go through a biological cycle which is more or less predictable, and many of the test kits are not accurate, or just plain difficult to read.
Anyway, have had fresh water setups most of my life, a 50g fish only salt some years ago but had to move, therefore sold the occupants at the time (Tangs, Angels, Copperband, Clowns).
Just moved into a new house last year and will now try again. 125 gallon, FX4 with only bio in it until I have the sump ready, have a Bubble Magnus Curve 7 waiting. Tank has been running for 4 weeks with dry rock and bio culture. Seems to be ok now, Salinity 1.025, Ph 8.2, Ammonia .25 (by the API test kit), Nitrate 5 to 10.
Plan on a few fish, not too many and some corals as time progresses, haven't done that before so here's to reading a lot and learning.

PS I am humbled looking at the setups on this site......staggering beauty and skill!
Welcome salis,
You stumbled into the right place for reef stuff.
Shoot any questions at us.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome aboard! Don’t be humbled it’s all good. From those with nanos to monster tanks. No bias here we are just people who love the hobby and those who love to do it.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back