New To Reefing / Advice would be appreciated

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it Going guys , I recently purchased the a fluval 32.5 gallon AIO saltwater setup . I cycled it for 4 weeks and I have added a snowflake and Iced Mocha Clown into it . In my tank I have a jebao wavemaker , cobalt aquatics heater, and I just purchased a ReefOctopus BH50 protien skimmer that’s coming in on Friday ! So far everything has been good as far as I can see . I added the clownfish on the 4th of July and here are my API saltwater test kit results , along with a picture of my tank . Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated in regards to what my results came back to . Are these results normal for a young reef tank and is there anything else I should watch out for ?

01209568-6782-4D6F-A7E7-3DD01D3E53F5.jpeg B2D36048-C771-4C94-A3E3-41F04CE878F5.jpeg 823AF9CD-94F4-4FA6-8AA7-95DC49DF68FA.jpeg 04AF2440-2547-41E7-AC1E-FF700735E179.jpeg

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent had an algae boom that might come depending how you cycled it. Clowns are hardy so they can handle some ups and downs.
Advice
Patience
stability (everything on timers and topping off ever couple days to keep salinity stable)
Top off with (rodi) fresh water
Patience makes perfect. In this hobby nothing happens fast. (Yes patience on there 2x)
When adding fish make sure to wait A bit between adding fish to give bacteria time to catch up
Don't stress about water changes for a bit imo let tank run a bit. If nitrate gets super high then water change. Make sure it the same salinity and temp when doing g a water change.

OP
OP
MichaelFita

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent had an algae boom that might come depending how you cycled it. Clowns are hardy so they can handle some ups and downs.
Advice
Patience
stability (everything on timers and topping off ever couple days to keep salinity stable)
Top off with (rodi) fresh water
Patience makes perfect. In this hobby nothing happens fast. (Yes patience on there 2x)
When adding fish make sure to wait A bit between adding fish to give bacteria time to catch up
Don't stress about water changes for a bit imo let tank run a bit. If nitrate gets super high then water change. Make sure it the same salinity and temp when doing g a water change.
Thank you ! I’ve been doing water changes every week since that’s what I was advised to do just to get a good habit going . So what your saying is that I should let the tank do it’s own thing and not do a water change for around another week? I have a water change lined up for tomorrow as I do them every Friday .

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to let the bio load take its course. I do water changes very seldom. That's good and bad lol. Its just preference and laziness. Its a good habit when your tank is stocked with all the fish and coral but when cycling ive always been told to keep it stable but don't to water changes. I do one every couple weeks. If your not doing coral I would test and if ammonia and nitrate get high then water change it imo. But weekly isn't bad at all either. I just tend to be on the lazier side haha.
My tank
20200225_173507.jpg

OP
OP
MichaelFita

MichaelFita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to let the bio load take its course. I do water changes very seldom. That's good and bad lol. Its just preference and laziness. Its a good habit when your tank is stocked with all the fish and coral but when cycling ive always been told to keep it stable but don't to water changes. I do one every couple weeks. If your not doing coral I would test and if ammonia and nitrate get high then water change it imo. But weekly isn't bad at all either. I just tend to be on the lazier side haha.
My tank
20200225_173507.jpg
Nice tank !! I’ll just let my tank do it’s thing and if levels keep rising I’ll do a water change . I do plan on keeping corals , I’m gonna start with Iza those and see how they end up doing . Depending on that I’m gonna add a euphyllia and then some green star polyps . Thanks for the feedback and happy reefing

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp can become a nuisance. Id stray from that and do zoa instead. Google zoa gardens and you'll see. There is a guy on here who has them and man is itnimpressive!!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back