New (to Reefing) in the Neighborhood...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All!

Live in Norwalk, recently made the decision to crank up a reef in my kitchen. Bought a 65 gallon package on sale at Petsmart, and will probably outfit most of it from one of the big online retailers later today. (Started a thread in the "New to Reefing" section about that last night)

I want this to work, as I don't want my reef's residents to suffer, don't have the budget to watch things go south in this setup ... and have a slightly crazy notion of dedicating this small box of beauty to someone small who recently passed away - so just wanted to stop by and say hello to the local community!!

~Bruce

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bruce, we had a meeting today. The next meeting will be in Jan. I'm available if you need to go over any plans or have specific questions. I live in Stratford but we have several members in Norwalk. Does the package you purchased have a sump? Skimmer etc?

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn, LOL! And I had the day off, too! (Don't get more than one of those a week, most weeks...)

Thanks for your attention, Masedaddy. (Nice bluefish, too!)

The package is a glass box, stand (with a shelf locked in at 18", which looks pretty, but will probably limit my sump to a DIY 20-long), glass top and T-8 single-bulb lamp. Definitely not "reef-ready" - kind of designed for freshwater fish and plastic plants, LOL!

I'm putting together some supplies at an online retailer (are individual mentions OK here?) as I write this - Reef Octopus Classic 2000 skimmer, Red Sea CoralPro salt and a SpectraPure 90 GPD RO/DI unit are sitting in my "cart", looking at the Maxspect Gyre for water movement and a 25" HOB 'fuge as well as the one in the sump. With such a small sump, I'm thinking just a sock, 'fuge, shelf for carbon/resin/similar, and return pump. Might set it up so I can slip a sponge in between baffles before the 'fuge area. Thinking about a return pump in the 600gph range - maybe the Eheim? Would a 300gph be more appropriate? Obviously, will need an overflow box with a similar rating - looking at the ones with the full-length, vented overflow area, as I had one with "U" tubes on a wet-dry many years ago, and it was a pain most of the time.

I'm fairly unclear as to what sort of plumbing and connections I'll need for the DIY sump and RO/DI unit, so any assistance would be appreciated!

~Bruce

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce is that you? I volunteer at the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk and your face looks a little familiar. I am fairly new to reefing as well...don't know anything about sumps or DIY projects. But if you have any other questions ask away this community has ton of educated and experienced reefers. Welcome to R2R Bruce!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Luka!

Yep, it's me! Got the sump built, but have to wait on some additional equipment for the overflow.

Dropped 80# of Pukani live rock a week ago (12/04) and watched the ammonia go off the charts for three or four days - now, it's reading a fat round zero, and I'm waiting on nitrates & nitrites to move in the same direction. Have to get a current photo - layout is looking good!

Sunk a couple of mounting hooks into the ceiling last night (two inches too far to the right - having trouble translating the tank's location on the _floor_ to the _ceiling_!)

Good to see you here - I've found that forums like this one can be a wonderful place to gather info that's up-to-the-minute, as well as to receive (and, in time, to give!) personal assistance. I've read numerous books on the topic, and kept a "reef-tank" in the 80's (very different philosophies and techniques in those days!) and just decided that it was time to have a real run at modern reefing.

~Bruce

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it!!

Great to hear the progress! I would love to see pictures. I don't hang my lights...I have a small 15 gallon tank my first tank ever. Its going well I guess. I had a shrimp that passed for unknown reasons (My guess is high stress or the bully). I have two maroon clowns. One of the clowns is a real big bully. I came back from home today and saw my smaller clown had a bite on his pectoral fin. I have a thread about it...not sure if I should return the meanie.

Yea I love this forum its full of a bunch of nice and experienced people, that are here to help.

Hope to see you at the aquarium I am usually there on weekends. Please keep us updated on your tank as well!!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 66 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back