OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It's a great community with really nice people :)

Don't forget AIO's are usually marketed with total water volume, not display volume. So a 10g AIO might actually be closer to 6g because of the 4g volume of water in the filtration area. Not sure what specifics you are looking at but something to keep in mind. I previously had a Nuvo 30L which is 30 total gallons, but only about 22 useable gallons in the display. I very quickly upgraded to a Reefer 525XL (110g display, 140g total). Not saying that will happen to you but make sure you're aware of the actual display tank's volume :)

And I second everyone else here that you should start with a bigger tank. It can be really hard to keep little tanks running smoothly (it's keeping me out of starting a nano tbh) but my 30g tank was a breeze.

Thanks for the thoughts. This is were I am stumped. I would like to get into Salt, but don't want to drop a grand to start. That's the the LFS owner told me it would cost. Not including fish. I am also having trouble convincing the wife to allow another large tank. I have 7 running FW now.

Derek

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend at least a 20 gallon (display volume) tank for a pair of ocellaris clowns. A larger tank may be required if you want a larger species of clown. I know they look small in the store, but they can get 3+ inches and are messy eaters. The additional water volume will help keep nutrients down and parameters stable. They can also be quite aggressive to new additions even in a larger tank, so keep that in mind as you decide what you may want to keep down the road.

Would you think the IM AIO 20 Gal would be big enough. I am considering the AIO to keep my initial costs down.

Derek

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you think the IM AIO 20 Gal would be big enough. I am considering the AIO to keep my initial costs down.

Derek

What do you mean by "Keeping costs down"? This does not really apply to reefing....

That being said, I was a long time freshwater keeper and finally made the leap to saltwater. I went with a 32 gallon biocube and have been reasonably successful over the last 6 months. I have no regrets despite being about $1,000 into the entire set up.

I would not do a 10 gallon. Maybe a 15 or 20 or bigger that you could convert into a QT tank when you upgrade your set up.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts. This is were I am stumped. I would like to get into Salt, but don't want to drop a grand to start. That's the the LFS owner told me it would cost. Not including fish. I am also having trouble convincing the wife to allow another large tank. I have 7 running FW now.

Derek

I totally understand. I got a Craigslist deal on my Nuvo 30L -- got the tank, heaters, pumps, and AI Hydra (nice) lights for $475 I believe. That got me to around $800 total startup cost for a reef (ATO, sand, rock, salt, etc). But then there's also a ton of equipment you acquire over time (refractometer, tons of test kits, mixing pump, salt buckets, RODI unit, etc) that drive the cost up.

If you are trying to keep your startup costs below $1000 I think that can easily be done for water volumes 20g+ especially if you're willing to shop on Craigslist. I think your running costs will exceed $1000 though. But I'm sure you're aware of that being experienced with freshwater.

Since you're not interested in corals you can save money on the biggest part -- lighting! (and extra salt on water changes).

I think starting with a smaller tank is a great foray into the saltwater world but I believe you will be wanting more, soon. Just something to keep in mind. Researching fish and what you want (I know you want to start with a clown pair now) will help you decide as well. One of the benefits of starting small, though, is that water changes are WAY easier. A 25% water change on a 20g tank is just a 5g bucket -- put the right amount of salt and RODI in, throw a pump and heater in, and you can have salt mixed easily for a change. Bigger tanks require a lot more planning and space to do that.

You can have a pair of younger/smaller clowns in the 20g. However I think it might be on the small side when they grow. Other users will be able to fill you in better in that regard!

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "Keeping costs down"? This does not really apply to reefing....

That being said, I was a long time freshwater keeper and finally made the leap to saltwater. I went with a 32 gallon biocube and have been reasonably successful over the last 6 months. I have no regrets despite being about $1,000 into the entire set up.

I would not do a 10 gallon. Maybe a 15 or 20 or bigger that you could convert into a QT tank when you upgrade your set up.

Let me rephrase, I don't want to spend $1000 yet....

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 32g biocube, as suggested above, is a great affordable tank! They have a small footprint so it shouldn't be an issue for you and you do get that extra water volume AND the AIO capability. I'd suggest researching those -- they're all over craigslist too but you can afford a new one.

A quick look on Craigslist in my area has a 29g biocube for $400 including reef lighting, heater, pump, flow pumps, rock, sand, etc. just as an example.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Derek

I had that tank and if memory serves me right, I think the display is only 15-16 gallons. You could get away with a pair of clowns in that tank (I did) but I would add the clowns last and one maybe two other smaller fish max. The clowns I had in that tank bullied my helfrichi firefish and eventually had to move the firefish to another tank.

To be perfectly honest, the tank is almost always one of the cheapest investments in this hobby and by far the hardest part to upgrade later on. This is not mandatory at all, but advice I wish I was given when I started out. Save up an additional $1000 for things like an RO/DI unit, test kits, etc. and use the rest for maintenance costs and unexpected expenses throughout the first 6 months to a year.

This is not a cheap hobby but can be done reasonably, but does require some additional upfront costs and planning.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase, I don't want to spend $1000 yet....

I spent $1,000 over the course of 6 months. One thing you have to prepare yourself for is to go slow. I also put a lot of odds and ends on my wish lists for birthday, christmas etc. $50 for a power head here and $40 for sand, test kits, rocks etc does add up, but you really need to take your time with it. Bio cube 32 is about $330 and comes with a lot of stuff you will need. Think marathon, not sprint.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that tank and if memory serves me right, I think the display is only 15-16 gallons. You could get away with a pair of clowns in that tank (I did) but I would add the clowns last and one maybe two other smaller fish max. The clowns I had in that tank bullied my helfrichi firefish and eventually had to move the firefish to another tank.

To be perfectly honest, the tank is almost always one of the cheapest investments in this hobby and by far the hardest part to upgrade later on. This is not mandatory at all, but advice I wish I was given when I started out. Save up an additional $1000 for things like an RO/DI unit, test kits, etc. and use the rest for maintenance costs and unexpected expenses throughout the first 6 months to a year.

This is not a cheap hobby but can be done reasonably, but does require some additional upfront costs and planning.

I already had an RO/DI unit for drinking water. I buy salt water premixed at the LFS fro $1.50 per gallon. I go through 14 gallons a month. Two 7 gallon water containers at $19 each from the local prepper store...

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my first tank in August. I never did freshwater, jumped straight to reef. However, I'd been researching for two years before I took the plunge. Tank is doing well. I would recommend an ATO as a must have for a nano. I have the 14G IM peninsula. I wish I'd gotten a 20. My next tank will be a 90-120, maybe in a year or two, or when my current corals outgrow the nano.

Do your research, test your water, be a scientist. Welcome!
IMG_20181123_223016.jpeg
IMG_20181115_172050.jpeg

OP
OP
Derek Claxton

Derek Claxton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my first tank in August. I never did freshwater, jumped straight to reef. However, I'd been researching for two years before I took the plunge. Tank is doing well. I would recommend an ATO as a must have for a nano. I have the 14G IM peninsula. I wish I'd gotten a 20. My next tank will be a 90-120, maybe in a year or two, or when my current corals outgrow the nano.

Do your research, test your water, be a scientist. Welcome!
IMG_20181123_223016.jpeg
IMG_20181115_172050.jpeg

Thank you Jen. I've been following your build. Nice rock work.

Derek

ReeferJen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jen. I've been following your build. Nice rock work.

Derek
Thanks Derek! I had to take out the large arch rock, but I may take a hammer to it to reduce the size and put half back in. The top came too close to the water line and was making coral placement challenging.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! :) People are successful with all different size tanks. Smaller tanks limit what you can do and have, but if a larger one isn't in the budget, I'm sure you will enjoy a smaller tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back