New to reefing, skimmer question

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing. Currently building first tank (40b/20l). Was wondering if I could use a skimmer once it is finally setup after cycle and with first fish or do I need to wait a while to add the skimmer?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait at least until cycle is completed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would also add the skimmer right after the cycle. The skimmer has other benefits than skimming, and one of the big ones is helping oxygenate the water.
IME until you get a larger, consistent bioload you probably won't get consistent results from the skimmer. I actually ran mine without the collection cut for a while when my tank was new, but I was doing that to help with oxygenation and pH more than anything else since at the time my nutrients were too low.

OP
OP
N

newbreefr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would also add the skimmer right after the cycle. The skimmer has other benefits than skimming, and one of the big ones is helping oxygenate the water.
IME until you get a larger, consistent bioload you probably won't get consistent results from the skimmer. I actually ran mine without the collection cut for a while when my tank was new, but I was doing that to help with oxygenation and pH more than anything else since at the time my nutrients were too low.
So I could still run the skimmer even with only about 2 fish to begin with?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could still run the skimmer even with only about 2 fish to begin with?
Yes, just remember that as your bioload will be small your skimmer probably won't perform as well as it could because it has to have sufficient bioload to produce the stable foam that is needed for skimming. I have a 125g tank and I've ran mine during a time with no fish and then I ran the skimmer for months with only one small clown fish in the tank. It is still beneficial to the tank it just didn't skim much if anything from the water.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a skimmer I would run it no matter what after the cycle completes. The nutrient export helps but the gas exchange is beneficial too.

Back