New to Reefing...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRUNO!!!! Welcome!
Lots to learn and a great place here to get the knowledge needed to be successful.
Start a build thread in the Members Tanks Forum so we can all follow along.

OP
OP
Bruno_Soares

Bruno_Soares

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRUNO!!!! Welcome!
Lots to learn and a great place here to get the knowledge needed to be successful.
Start a build thread in the Members Tanks Forum so we can all follow along.

Thank you. A lot to learn, indeed. I have some knowledge, but even more questions. The layout is done so I am ready to insert everything in the aquarium. I will be needing some opinions on the better way to display the equipment, etc...

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4E8D60C-DAD2-44ED-A21D-DAA81B637ACA.gif

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Bruno! I am always eager to hear about people reefing from other places in the world as I often wonder if they have different strategies, philosophies, available equipment, etc. I can't wait to see how your first reef tank progresses. Please start a build thread in the Member's Tanks forum when you get that rolling because many of us really enjoy seeing those come together.

On an unrelated note, I'm planning a trip to Portugal soon so if you could just leave your full name and address here...my girlfriend and I will be stopping by (probably unannounced) for some accomodations. We're basically family now. :D

I'm kidding, obviously. Good to have you here!

OP
OP
Bruno_Soares

Bruno_Soares

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I hope I can have a good start. I have some friends that have reefs so I will be giving some info on what they do in their tanks also.
If you happen to come to Portugal, I would be pleased to meet you, of course. I worked in tourism and have met people from all over the world.

Welcome aboard, Bruno! I am always eager to hear about people reefing from other places in the world as I often wonder if they have different strategies, philosophies, available equipment, etc. I can't wait to see how your first reef tank progresses. Please start a build thread in the Member's Tanks forum when you get that rolling because many of us really enjoy seeing those come together.

On an unrelated note, I'm planning a trip to Portugal soon so if you could just leave your full name and address here...my girlfriend and I will be stopping by (probably unannounced) for some accomodations. We're basically family now. :D

I'm kidding, obviously. Good to have you here!

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to Reef2Reef. and best tank ever.

What I recommend is starting the tank with macro algaes right from the start. They are "organized" algaes that look kinda like plants. it is best to separate them from the livestock as most livestock eats them. A simple 1/4" plastic grid would partition the tank into a marco area and livestock area.

This will balance out and stabilize operation which I find very forgiving of my type errors. So much so that the aerobic bacterial ammonia->nitrite->nitrate spikes are broken up because the macros consume the ammonia directly. Then, as bacteria builds up, the macros switch to using nitrAtes for nitrogen.

So I wait a week to insure the macros are thriving.

Then I use a common, inexpensive FW molly to start the bioload. And don't add food for a week. After that I start feeding a single flake per day.

After a few weeks the tank is ready for the more expensive and delicate marine only fish.

Still that's just me and my .02

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back