New to Salt (next week)

Cycklone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really looking for followers so if u decide to follow & it isn't exciting ---you have been warned!
anytime I add () this is the indication that is it me thinking outside the sentence!!!

Needs
Only need left I know of is the sand, & live rock from friend (he works Sun/Mon next week)

Why
Who
What
When
Where
& How
My mother being a PhD in English ground into me these are the reason for everything we write....
So

Why:
I have been interested in fish keep for years (I have 3 Fresh tanks, 5g @work, wife's 10G, & the OG 20G) my wife came to me a 3+ years ago and said lets do a saltwater tank. I said ok let me research it for a while and I agreed to do a FOWLR.... 2y later I am ready (I think). my freshwater tanks are stupid ez I only do water changes every 2 weeks and haven't checked chems except every month or so-- as they are all VERY stable (home tanks for years)
Who:
Besides the lovely wife, I have to say my 2 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 kids (16 boy & 14 girl) are also involved.
When:
Next week to have my tank up and running though it isn't 100% dependent on me. My work schedule is 6 out of 8 nights & then I am off for 6 straight. This Friday starts my off stretch so I plan on having it up and running on Monday
Where:
Is a 50g tank. It had to fit a particular spot and being only 1187sq.ft house there isn't much room. ALOT of time on craigslist found me a tank that will work perfectly (pretty sure it is custom made) I do realize that it is deep (30") & on the stand I can barely reach the bottom glass (I am 5'11). Paid only $140 for tank, stand, generic LED light, lid, & a Fluval 70 HOB filter. IT has been in the dining room now for 4 months (frustrating my wife/kids)
How:
A co-worker has a long time established tank and has 15lb of dry rock "seeding" in his tank. I will also be using live sand and Prime Stability when I "fire up my tank"
Will definitely be with trial and hopefully little error. I do realize that salt is more attention to detail and has alot more money invested than freshwater.
What:
my goals; Clownfish, Orchid Dottyback, Neon Black Goby, Coral Beauty, and some invertebrates. This will be over a year or more. my closest LFS is 1H away, (OKC has a beautiful store but is almost 3h 1 way) I have a Petco 15min but only for limited supplies (& maybe invertebrates tho)
I would love a starfish and lobster though I am not sure how to get at least one in my tank --everywhere I read and watch on YouTube basically says don't do it

Past
Present
Future
Dreams
Failures

Past:
I guess would be the 3 fresh water tanks and several other pets.
I have a pet sitter that is very flexible for when I am on vacation etc., also have a co-worker that has a 21y established tank that has said he can come help while I am on vacation and if I run into issue he will be more than willing to come lend a "semi professional opinion"
Present:
50g
Future:
I have been told by wife that for her (next year?) I am doing a Corals tank for her! --not exactly sure but may wind up doing a separate (40g breeder) coral tank for her or connecting it somehow!!
Dream:
to have a fully working MDT, coral tank (system?) that will be in harmony with itself and a representation of a working ecosystem, which will provide satisfaction to me and my wife
I know I will do a sump in the future and I realize my bioload will be kind of high (eventually) --best way to address this is with a sump. But with my house size and space available I am not sure how this will work (yet)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and let us have pictures when you get started

Starfish need established tanks otherwise they will starve during in a new system so just wait a while on those

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome to the reef

lots of people here to help w any q&a or probs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wishes for success with your new ocean creation and a warm welcome to the R2R community !!

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to add a sump? Just think life in the hobby would be much easier and enjoyable!!!!!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to salty side.

OP
OP
C

Cycklone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back on the Feb 14-15th weekend ago I did get the RODI set up and going didn't realize how long it would take to make 50gal of water...
The HOB overflow box was on sale this week so I grabbed it ($80 for usually $90) so I am that step closer to a Sump (shooting for July to start sump)

Have the tank mostly filled, 2 bags of sand are not enough (so I left 2-3inches off top so I can add substrate. Have 40lb of dry rock in as well. This week I added Seachem's Stability the double and next day day (bottle ran out) have another bottle coming tomorrow. Used live sand and hope to have the large rock from friend this week (he was on vacation last week) have done "ghost feeding" 2 days this week.

no fish added (tho heater is on and tank is "cycling" I have a Acclimation set up coming this weekend. So nothing really to report...but the workings are working. Other 3 tanks doing well (transferred my wife's tank to a 14g (from 10) work is a 5G betta he is chilling watching me right now, and of course my beginner tank 20g tank is just fine.

1 thing I have been pondering is a Hosp/QT tank. but changing wife's tank around (10g to a 14 cube) ...that problem has been solved i will use her old 10gal when I need it- otherwise it will be put up

Answering some of the questions/addressing comments...
Sump-- yes I will do one, just not exactly sure how it will end up (I have a 20G Long -3 section, homemade sump) It will have to be a beside not the traditional under/over.
Starfish yes waiting (not a problem) he will probably be a inhabitant of the sump also.....Maybe I am being overly cautious? but that is a 1.5-2y from now issue to pursue

OP
OP
C

Cycklone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW it has been 6 weeks already

All rock in now for 5+ weeks .... 3rd bag of sand in as well

I got 1 black Platy ($3.99 @petco) & over 3 days I acclimated him to the salty side. (Mar-4)
So
Just today (Apr-7) I added a Mocha Storm Clownfish (ordered from Liveaquaria) he was chilling when I left home (I work 12h overnight 3x week) --my daughter has named him Pickle "because he is cuter than a pickle"
I wasn't as diligent at lights on/off as I thought I could be, so I added a digital timer to my LED (5am-8am & 5pm-MN)

plans:
I will wait 3-4 weeks to add the 3rd fish (Looking at a Dottyback next, Neon or Orchid) might be doing the sump this month vs waiting another 3months... simply so I can add an ATO. I have added everyday but now I have an expensive fish & I want to be as stable as possible. Just have to decide where and how it will work in my house (wife has alot of input to this)

PS need to figure out how to add pics from my phone to this forum (I log on from work computer_)

OP
OP
C

Cycklone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW been over 2 months since last update....

All is going well. I have a Royal Gramma, Mocha Storm Clownfish, 1 Black & 1 White Mollie, 2 Margarite snails, 1 Turbo snail & 1 scarlet legged hermit crab..
Sump is starting this monday. I have plan now it will be side by side (kind of). 2 heaters off of a Inkbird, 2 thermometers (not counting Inkbird controller), some bio material, and some gravel/sand to avoid the dirty bare bottom look and a 1.5g HOB isolation box I'm going to use as a small refugium. Missing a light (but don't have Chaeto or anything yet so not a 911, contemplating a lid... simply to keep it from evaporating too much, I'm tempted to not worry about it for a few weeks just let it go see how it all works out. This sump is going to be very much on display (for awhile at least) so can't let mama get to frustrated with it.
have some Red slime algae, and the regular green algae starting--but nothing I am stressed about. anyone have a great way to keep a cat from plunking around in the water (she isn't fishing)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and no pic's..lol.maybe eggcrating or screen top :)

OP
OP
C

Cycklone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugg 2 months already....
wow time flies (and a vacation)
top of sump is still open top (Cat got bored now leaves it alone)

tank is doing well, stable on testing, though my pH is usually 7.53-7.55 --i read it needs to be 8-8.3 not sure if that is for corals only or if FOWLR (and inverts) also.
My lovely wife decided that I needed more life in my tank so she bought a 2 hermit crabs, brittle starfish (!) and a Coral banded shrimp (!!!) starting my work week and she woke me up to "surprise me" ---yea that is a surprise!! The CBS is living in the sump middle chamber she isn't willing to hand feed or eat anything that I have tried for that matter (or is catching food that goes thru the sump?) so I don't trust her in with my swimming friends
the brittle is the opposite --he hand feeds so I feel comfortable with him in the main tank I feed wild caught table shrimp every other day
my Firefish get out of QT in 8d. --so here is a question--
my QT regime is copper per bottle dosing for 14d (total) & Seachem Stability
every 5d- I RODI dip for 3min, and do 100% clean tank (HOT water clean, then Hydrogen peroxide, & rinse) & let
sit for 2h minimum, refill place fish back in ---my goal is to never fight Ich or Velvet do you feel is this enough?

so in tank today: Mocha Clown, Moly, Royal Gramma (because dottyback will become to hostile I'm afraid), Starfish, Emerald Crab, 2 Hermits, 2 Margraite snails, Highfin Goby/Pistol shrimp (that don't live together) -Firefish on 30th- CBS in sump- only thing I plan to add is a Coral Beauty in Dec

yes I plan on figuring out the picture thing.... I promise I will try this work week

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back