new to salt water

Genghis Mongol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

I am a first time salt water tank guy ... I have a 55 gal w 3 clowns and a blue tang and damsel . also sharing the space are a fire scallop and sand sifting star fish with about dozen snails and hermits .. I have had good and bad luck w soft corals and zoa's some have grown and spread and my zoas have died ..so im still learning .

hope to learn what i need here to keep my tank going

thanks Chris

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

I am a first time salt water tank guy ... I have a 55 gal w 3 clowns and a blue tang and damsel . also sharing the space are a fire scallop and sand sifting star fish with about dozen snails and hermits .. I have had good and bad luck w soft corals and zoa's some have grown and spread and my zoas have died ..so im still learning .

thanks Chris

Welcome! Watch the blue tang closely as 55 gallons are likely not enough for him. Do you know what kind of star fish it is?

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

thanks Chris
Welcom to R2R did your local fish store just tell the new guy to help you out? Fire scallops are rough in a mature environment with a seasoned veteran. Also that blue tang will growout of your 55 eventually but you probably have some time. Lets start with how long your tank has been up for and what some of your parameteres are so we can dial down why your corals are dying. What is your acclimation process?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Chris.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for joining.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Steep learning curve, at first. The flame scallop is going to be tough, they seldom thrive in captivity. Keep learning... and the key is stability. I've seen tanks with awful water quality do just fine, as long as that awful water quality was STABLE. Nothing good happens fast.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Steep learning curve, at first. The flame scallop is going to be tough, they seldom thrive in captivity. Keep learning... and the key is stability. I've seen tanks with awful water quality do just fine, as long as that awful water quality was STABLE. Nothing good happens fast.
Except for Pizza!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, Welcome to R2R

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Chris
And you came to the right place. There is enormous amounts of information on this forum and if you can find the answers to questions then just ask. Members will be more than willing to help you.
Congratulations on your newly found SEA of knowledge

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back