New to salt water

welcome jurassic park GIF
Thanks so much everyone. So I am going to look at the tank today. I’m going to find out how long it’s been up. Should I still grab the lawnmower blenny ? To help with the algae on the rocks ?
 
Just recently did a 15% water change on a 90 gallon. 3 days later I think Dino algae appeared. I’ve researched blackouts and possible hydrogen peroxide treatment. There is some particles on the top of the substrate I want to siphon off just for appearance sake. Just the surface. Would this make the situation worse? I was also going to add a lawnmower blenny to try and help with the algae on the live rocks and possibly a watchman to get a maintenance crew started. I really appreciate any and all help. I’m new.
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG
 
Just recently did a 15% water change on a 90 gallon. 3 days later I think Dino algae appeared. I’ve researched blackouts and possible hydrogen peroxide treatment. There is some particles on the top of the substrate I want to siphon off just for appearance sake. Just the surface. Would this make the situation worse? I was also going to add a lawnmower blenny to try and help with the algae on the live rocks and possibly a watchman to get a maintenance crew started. I really appreciate any and all help. I’m new.

Welcome! Glad you joined

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
You don't really say what type of algae and how bad it is; no pictures. For those reasons don't want to advise lawnmower blenny despite your two posts in this thread inquiring. Instead knowing your water parameters and getting to heart of what is causing algae is more important that being instantly reactionary. If this is brand new tank coming out of cycle and just in ugly phase, then suggest ride it out for a while but work on controlling nitrate and phosphate numbers - those and white lights are the fuel for algae (if it is even algae bugging you in your tank).

Hang in there!!
 
Welcome to R2R!

R2RWelcome.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new