New to saltwater! 90g stocking suggestions?

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum.
I lurk around on a couple different forums reading/researching and wanted to throw out a question for you guys, but first I'll let you all in on what I have going.

I have a 90 gallon FOWLR tank that's in the middle of the cycle right now. It has around 100 lbs of rock in it with most of that being base rock (90lbs of base and 10lbs of live) and about a 1 inch sand bed. I have most of a CUC planned and will get some of those guys before any fish after it is safe and the cycle is complete.

So now I've been planning what I want to eventually have the tank stocked with (months down the road) and have my own list made, but with a few concerns/questions. The main one being how would the two dwarf angels work out? (I would probably get them last or close to last and add the two (younger ones) at the same time).

2 Ocellaris Clowns (Probably the first fish I get)
1 Raccoon Butterfly or Saddleback
1 Flame Angel
1 Bluefin Angel or Half Black
1 Harptail Blenny or Brachiosaurus
1 Indigo Dottyback
? Wrasses (Not sure how many I could get, but they would probably be flashers)

Thanks in advance!

90g cycle starting.jpg

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have researched (because I don't have any angels) flame angels can co-exist with the other lesser-aggressive/territorial dwarf angels (probably only 1 other) in a tank of sufficient size. A 90 gallon is probably on the cusp of what is needed to keep aggression down. The other lesser-aggressive angels are angels you do not have listed like the coral beauty, cherub, and flameback. The other ones you have listed tend to be some of the most aggressive dwarf angels.

Again this is from what I have researched, not from my own experience, so please take that into consideration.

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been our experience that if you add all of the angels at the same time it minimizes aggression. The problem lies when you have an angel in a tank that has already established its territory and you try to add another. Since they are similar body shape and have similar diets the new angel is seen as a threat.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been our experience that if you add all of the angels at the same time it minimizes aggression. The problem lies when you have an angel in a tank that has already established its territory and you try to add another. Since they are similar body shape and have similar diets the new angel is seen as a threat.
+1 on this. Hey vivid! Good to see you posting on the forum, I order corals from you all the time! My favorite vendor [emoji106]

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the replies guys! Thanks a lot it sounds like I'll have a good shot at keeping my two then

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just wanted to bring thread this back to life to ask what order would be recommended to introduce the fish from my list. I plan on getting my first one next weekend, but unsure of what I should start with.
Also thought I should mention any wrasse(s) I get will be a smaller and reef safe. I thought maybe this would be one of the best choices, but would appreciate some opinions.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCosker Flasher Wrasse. Great fish. Lots of color and action in the tank. Mostly peaceful and reef safe too. Lots of options with wrasses though and in a tank your size you could probably add a few depending on how many other fish you want to add. I think 2 genus are almost bullet-proof reef safe and a 3rd is mostly reef safe (some snails and crabs might become food).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back