New to saltwater, but not to hobby!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics and dimensions of your tank so that I can do a little research and find a good light for you. Your light is no ggod for anything beyond softies, especially if you do not have a reflector. Unfortunetaly, I learned that the hard way by losing a BTA when I first started out.

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along on this one as well. Now see, I'd been told that Kent was pretty good by several people as foster & smith goes anyway but others say not so much. Had pretty good luck with it but that was with our freshwater. Have the Coralife now for our sw tank but haven't had the tank / system long enough to say either way. Really like the idea of building one!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol they come assembled, you just choose what it includes, you dont even have to screw the canisters on.

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i thnk of over kill for a saltwater aquarium i think of to much fish, and yes even corals, but as far as equipment goes, the more the merrier. i have seen 20 gallon tanks that have 120 gallon sump. lol but man it looked great.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to connect the RO/DI system to a faucet. Do I really need the laundry adapter?

And can you link where I can buy filter cartridges please?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy them on brs as well, but the filter includes them. The laundry hose adapter allows you to connect it to a garden hose. To do a sink, you need to go under the sink and put a tee fitting on the cold water line, one at the standard sink water line size, the other at a hose bib size. I belive that you can find a tee like that at home depot.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know someone who connects it to the sprayer on the side of his sink with the hose bib adapter, that might work.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled Document

spectrapure is by far the best bang for your buck, they test all there membranes and filters. the top offer is a great deal and is reguraly almost $250. they have been doing RODI units for a long time and have proven tests.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree on good pricing, their membranes cost a rediculous price, about 5-10 times that of other sellers. Even if they lasted 2 times longer, it still would cost twice as much. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how's my lighting?

And my zoas have closed up for some reason. Yesterday, the ricordeas gave off a lot of slime, and turned brown. What's happening?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are dieing, you cant have anything in a tank with the slightest amount of ammonia. It is not the lighting, but the lack of a cycle. I dont know whether it was too late by the time I said not to add anything. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lighting is fine, but ammonia is deadly. It is probably 5 times as bad as bleach. The brown stuff is called brown jelly, and will kill the ricordia.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, ammonia detox is a freshwater additive, it will not solve anything. A cycle can last anywhere drom 2 weeks to several months, and is only over when ammonia, nitraites, and nitrates hold at 0 while you ever so slowely ramp up the bioload. The only thing that you can do is wait for the cycle to be over.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, your lighting is fine just for softies. I would start all over with a larger tank, 40 gallons is a perfect starter tank. Use a 4-6 bulb t5 fixture and you can keep all kinds of corals.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I checked the bulk reef supply site and I don't know which cartridge would be the suitable replacement for the RO/DI system. Can you link the stuff please? There's like a million blocks and cartridges to choose from.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back