New to saltwater but not to the hobby

Dartfrog1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I've been in the aquarium hobby for many year but I've never had a saltwater tank always freshwater. So when we decided to get new carpet I said I'm tearing down my 125 gallon planted tank selling it all and do a
Reef tank around 60-75 gallons. So far I've bought a Eshopps RS75 sump
An OCTO classic 110-5 skimmer. 160watt 16,000k Maxspect 27" razor light fixture,ehiem compact 2000 pump. Still looking at circulating pumps
And what tank I want. Thanks Ron from Phoenix.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Rob, I do not know what it is, but I always seem to have 75's for tanks:rolleyes:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I've been in the aquarium hobby for many year but I've never had a saltwater tank always freshwater. So when we decided to get new carpet I said I'm tearing down my 125 gallon planted tank selling it all and do a
Reef tank around 60-75 gallons. So far I've bought a Eshopps RS75 sump
An OCTO classic 110-5 skimmer. 160watt 16,000k Maxspect 27" razor light fixture,ehiem compact 2000 pump. Still looking at circulating pumps
And what tank I want. Thanks Ron from Phoenix.

Hi! Me too! I've been an active planted tank guy for years in a variety of tank sizes 5, 30, 90. I still have the 30 setup with plants and rummy nose tetra, neon tetras, small clown place, cory. But it was time to try something new. A new challenge. So much to do and learn. What fun, eh?

OP
OP
Dartfrog1

Dartfrog1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo yes, the fun is almost over whelming! Lol
No it's already lots of fun just looking at/researching the parts and pieces. I already took back my Eshopps RS-75 and got an RS-200 and picked a Aqua Excel DC pump model DC-6500. Right now I'm researching Media reactors to see
What one can hang/go in my skimmer section. Thanks for all the help and motivating material!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I picked up an Eshopps RS-200 too! Had to build a new tank cabinet to house that size of sump. My old stand was one of those black compressed wood units that was sagging. Not good. So I built a taller unit out of solid oak. Now I can put in and take out the sump easily. Bought a Jabeo DCT-4000 pump. Hooked it up an ran it for a day. It makes a very annoying whine noise. And I didn't find that out until after the return window had closed. So I'm thinking I'll keep it as a back up pump or use it at my mixing station.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Thank you for joining,Ron!* This is just a wild guess,but is that a dart frog set up as your avatar?

1471160750497.jpg

OP
OP
Dartfrog1

Dartfrog1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. I breed 4 types of thumbnails. Been around fish and frogs my whole life just decided to take the drice into a reef tank doesn't look that hard! Lol

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. I breed 4 types of thumbnails. Been around fish and frogs my whole life just decided to take the drice into a reef tank doesn't look that hard! Lol
Don't say that ,lol. If you have the patience and commitment to breed those tiny frogs, then you have what it takes to raise a reef.I saw captive bred ones at my local fish store years ago.The owner had to breed flight-less fruit fly for them.It looked like a lot of work!

badhabits

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice is to know what you want to keep and plan your equipment accordingly. ..I am currently suffering the financial repercussions of not thinking ahead

Rick cowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, my best advice, keep the 125gl and turn it into a reef, for me, the 75 got too small too quick. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Dartfrog1

Dartfrog1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is space I'm putting it in my frog/snake room and have a spot where it will fit perfect nothing bigger tho .
My wife does awesome with all the animals plus 2 dogs but I've been known to get a little carried away over the years so I've tried to streamline and condense. Lol
She does let me keep a display tank in the living room (picture included)and my Son loves helping me with All of the animals.

IMG_6783.JPG

Rick cowen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That display tank is awesome. I understand space restrictions. I would like to have a 1000gl reef tank, but our house isn't big enough, our next house will hopefully.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back