New to saltwater having issues with fish.... disappearing or bacterial?

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this tang is less than 2" and plan on getting into around 150g within its growing limits. I did ask before i bought it, knowing they most tangs require at least 125 gal mature tanks. I was told that i had about 12/18 months would be the maximum time in my tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this tang is less than 2" and plan on getting into around 150g within its growing limits. I did ask before i bought it, knowing they most tangs require at least 125 gal mature tanks. I was told that i had about 12/18 months would be the maximum time in my tank.
Yes, plan more for 12 months. Tangs grow fast and swim fast. At 2" you are ok. I'd say when you hit 4" that fish will start to become cramped.

As far as the injury, I wouldn't try and catch it again. Too much stress and highly likely to further injure the eye. You can add selcon to your normal food for a vitamin boost. Also an antibiotic like kanaplex with focus to bind it with the food would help treat any infections.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me welcome you to the saltwater hobby and to the R2R community. I am sorry you are having a problem with your tang. Please know that your sailfin is one of the largest of the Zebrasoma tangs and it will quickly grow too large for a 40 gallon tank. Live Aquaria recommends a tank size of 180 gal for that species of fish. I have a 180 gal and decided against this species because it grows over a foot when mature and does not play nice with other tangs - but maybe you know all this already? (edit-After posting, I see you have a later post stating you are aware that your tang will quickly outgrow your tank and are making plans to upgrade).

A cloudy eye could mean several things. For example, flukes will attach to a fish's eyes and cause the eyes to look cloudy. PraziPro is the medication of choice for flukes. It could be an injury. You mentioned that you were cleaning the tank. If the fish became spooked while you were cleaning, it could have zoomed into a piece of coral or rock and injured itself. It seems a bit too fast for a bacterial infection to set in and cause pop eye right after cleaning the tank and/or injuring itself. Is it possible that the fish had pop eye before you stated cleaning the tank and you just didn't notice it? If so, it could be a bacterial infection. Let me point you in the direction of @Humblefish 's page of fish illnesses and treatments: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options-index.247573/ It is my first stop page when I am diagnosing and treating fish for illness. Humblefish is an expert in the field of treating sick fish. I'm sure you'll find useful information on his Treatment Options Index.

A better picture would help us identify the problem for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, plan more for 12 months. Tangs grow fast and swim fast. At 2" you are ok. I'd say when you hit 4" that fish will start to become cramped.

As far as the injury, I wouldn't try and catch it again. Too much stress and highly likely to further injure the eye. You can add selcon to your normal food for a vitamin boost. Also an antibiotic like kanaplex with focus to bind it with the food would help treat any infections.
Thank You for sharing, it is much appreciated. I am going to my local fish store tomorrow to try my best for my fish.
I will post pictures of progress as it goes thank you! i will also post everything i did for the cure.

Again thank you for the input from everybody and as stated I will post more about the tang as it goes!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like ammonia burn associated with water quality. You Can give tang epsom salt bath for its eye. Add carbon (preferably ChemiPure Blue) and monitor ammonia and nitrate.
If possible, take an ammonia test and see what readings you get. Doing the maintenance you described could have caused a quick spike to create this issue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome also to the R2R community !!

OP
OP
Phil11

Phil11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
progress on my tang, eating well and eye seems to be healing there isn't hardly any red around the eye anymore. the was a small ammonia spike as somebody mentioned my water test was between 0 and .25. I did go get some ammo lock and melafix. I also did 5 gallon changes Friday and Saturday but did a 25 gallon change today. I did smash a garlic pod up and rubbed it on a veggie strip and let it dry out. No actual garlic was added though. I use the sea veggies and cut the strip into about a 1x1 square. Will the cloudiness just fade or will the eye fall out? I don't know how this is going to look when the fish is healed.

fish5.jpg fish 6.jpg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad hes looking better. This will usually heal completely with no permanent damage.

Keep a close watch and if it gets worse use antibiotics

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back