i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, they grow the most in the first 1-2 years of their life, I will have time to upgrade to a large pond in my basement by then.
The growth rate of many large fish like sharks is still incredibly fast even after 1-2 years. Also this is a fish that will live for 20-25 years, the fastest growth is most likely in the first 10 years of their life not 1-2 years.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly seems like you wanted someone to justify the objectively highly poor decision you wanted to go through with. It doesn’t seem like you want to hear it so not super sure why you’re asking. These sharks are BIG. Whether 20” or 28” they’re way too big. If you have the ability to build a pond like you said you did, then what’s the huge deal in just waiting till you can put that pond together? If you care about the fish and livestock you keep, this shouldn’t even remotely be a debate.
Coral cat sharks aren’t active. Mostly at feeding time. I haven’t seen one coral cat shark that actually swims around like a tang.
The growth rate of many large fish like sharks is still incredibly fast even after 1-2 years. Also this is a fish that will live for 20-25 years, the fastest growth is most likely in the first 10 years of their life not 1-2 years.
They get to 20” in the first 2 tho, max size 24-28”

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often starts fairly early on but if you’re lucky it’ll start later down the line. It’s just not something you should be willing to risk.

5” against some of your 1’ long predatory fish is nothing. Snappers can easily take out a 5” fish, rays pin their prey against the glass - same can occur with sharks.

Angels wouldn’t be scared of a shark, in fact they’d be more intrigued. The sharks you want as said above are not well adapted to take out large open water swimmers but instead smaller fish (Chromis, Clowns, Blennies, Gobies) when sleeping in the rocks.

Why the need to go for these fish now? Why not wait? Nothing goes right when you rush everything. And it’s unlikely anyone is going to justify this stocking idea.
I’ll take the puffer off the list

For the chomis, I kinda want them in there for the purpose of being the target. When I’ve heavily stocked tanks in the past I put a few chromis in with everyone else. And they eat up most of the aggression whilst not caring. I’ve had 1-2” chromis with my snapper while he was 7”, so I can’t see them being eaten. And then I’ve seen plenty of people keep chromis with sharks and rays, due to their nature of sitting higher in the water column. All of the chromis that I’ve had even when sleeping were in holes at the top of the rocks.

I’m now pretty set on rehoming the emperor angel, and putting the bi color in my 65 gallon.

And then for the rush, I’m going away to college soon, I can’t promise myself that I’ll ever have a tank this size again, so I’d really rather do it now then possibly later.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral cat sharks aren’t active. Mostly at feeding time. I haven’t seen one coral cat shark that actually swims around like a tang.
There’s one thing you’re forgetting, how often are you watching tanks with Coral Cats at night or dusk/dawn? This is when sharks are generally most active and trawling round tanks. These are highly active fish at night but in the day lay around, sleeping.

They get to 20” in the first 2 tho, max size 24-28”
24-28” is again, leaving no turning room for that fish in your tank. 20” in the first 2 years is unlikely as on average they grow 4-5 inches every year.
Also, this is a shark that does best in a group so would need a much larger tank.
And then for the rush, I’m going away to college soon, I can’t promise myself that I’ll ever have a tank this size again, so I’d really rather do it now then possibly later.
If I’m honest, you’d be better off with a much more thought about tank than one that’s just because of the chance you’ll never have a tank this size again.

It’s a bad choice. And these are fish that require better thoughts about. Removing one fish doesn’t remove all the issues of compatibility, you’d have to remove 4-5 fish.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s one thing you’re forgetting, how often are you watching tanks with Coral Cats at night or dusk/dawn? This is when sharks are generally most active and trawling round tanks. These are highly active fish at night but in the day lay around, sleeping.

24-28” is again, leaving no turning room for that fish in your tank. 20” in the first 2 years is unlikely as on average they grow 4-5 inches every year.
Also, this is a shark that does best in a group so would need a much larger tank.

If I’m honest, you’d be better off with a much more thought about tank than one that’s just because of the chance you’ll never have a tank this size again.

It’s a bad choice. And these are fish that require better thoughts about. Removing one fish doesn’t remove all the issues of compatibility, you’d have to remove 4-5 fish.
which fish would I have to remove? I only see three as an issue. Puffer, and both angels

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which fish would I have to remove? I only see three as an issue. Puffer, and both angels
The puffer, the angels, the Achilles and powder blue - one is likely to end up dead, the rays, and the sharks aren’t going to do well in the tank. If I’m honest you’re already quite well stocked and would likely only get away with the addition of the eel as your other fish all attain large sizes. You may manage the male naso but even then, you may find your female doesn’t get along with him.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll take the puffer off the list

For the chomis, I kinda want them in there for the purpose of being the target. When I’ve heavily stocked tanks in the past I put a few chromis in with everyone else. And they eat up most of the aggression whilst not caring. I’ve had 1-2” chromis with my snapper while he was 7”, so I can’t see them being eaten. And then I’ve seen plenty of people keep chromis with sharks and rays, due to their nature of sitting higher in the water column. All of the chromis that I’ve had even when sleeping were in holes at the top of the rocks.

I’m now pretty set on rehoming the emperor angel, and putting the bi color in my 65 gallon.

Not to be a debby downer but my mom once surprised me with 6 green chromis for easter...the epaulette took down 1-2 a day, always at night. It was only a 13in epaulette too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back