New to saltwater, I have a lighting problem

Dr4gon2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's a million threads about lighting, but I'm having a really hard time getting a straight answer on this issue.

I'm about to start a reef tank in an 80 gallon 26"x26"x26" and I need to figure out what light(s) will cover that area and get down far enough to grow corals.

I'm going to start on zoa's and other soft corals, but I eventually want to have sps and more difficult corals in the tank.
Budget is also something I'm keeping in mind, but I'm mostly just looking for the most bang for the buck, instead of setting a set number on the price.

Thank you all in advance.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's a million threads about lighting, but I'm having a really hard time getting a straight answer on this issue.

I'm about to start a reef tank in an 80 gallon 26"x26"x26" and I need to figure out what light(s) will cover that area and get down far enough to grow corals.

I'm going to start on zoa's and other soft corals, but I eventually want to have sps and more difficult corals in the tank.
Budget is also something I'm keeping in mind, but I'm mostly just looking for the most bang for the buck, instead of setting a set number on the price.

Thank you all in advance.
I think the best bang for the buck are what we call black boxes led’s. I’ve personally seen some great results with mars aqua. I’ve heard great things about viparspectra. I use kessils and T5’s which will be higher $$.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher wattage LED, T5s or MH can all handle that job.

For LEDs, black boxes are powerful enough and cost effective. For lots of features and apps, then the higher dollar models will work. You could need several units depending on what you choose.

6 or 8 bulb T5 are plug and play with great results.

Single 250w Metal Halide can also cover that area with ease for ultimate growth and color.

You can also use some combinations of all of these.

In the end, to light the whole thing (side to side and top to bottom) whatever you choose is going to be about the same wattage/power.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back