New to Saltwater, Tank Pics

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Red Sea test kits? I would love to try out the Hanna checkers
I Really like my redsea kits, however I use the pro which has both high and low nitrate. Recently for alk, and cal I switched to the Hanna and my wife is much happier with less "hassle". I havent used them yet but happy wife happy life right?

REEFLIFE.27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Really like my redsea kits, however I use the pro which has both high and low nitrate. Recently for alk, and cal I switched to the Hanna and my wife is much happier with less "hassle". I havent used them yet but happy wife happy life right?
Lol yea your right.. well when you do get a chance to use them let me know been thinking about getting some myself

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out the hobby for 3 yrs the tank been sitting there empty for like 2 yrs till now . I used turbo start 900 to cycle tank which is suppose to cycle in like a week i think never done it this way. Been stuck on these test results probably for like a week but compared to what is was 3weeks ago It’s gotten way better not sure if I added to much ammonia. I’ve always cycled my tank By waiting it out for a month
7E72A3EA-31DD-49D4-B588-03F16F9C1441.jpeg
It looks like the ammonia is still about 0.50ppm... but the API kits usually always show 0.25ppm! What did you add as your ammonia source? The bacteria are working well because you have a huge amount of nitrates present. This tells me you've had a lot of ammonia breaking down! If you used your old live rock without curing it this time, I suspect it is full of dead organics from the last tank and slowly breaking down into ammonia... leading to the really high nitrates.

Also, read the API test kit directions. Some of their tests wasn't you to compare the test tube color to the card by looking down thru the top of thes vial target than from these side. That wel change the colors you see some as well. I can't recall which tests say to do that...i have their copper test and you look down thru the top on that one.

REEFLIFE.27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the ammonia is still about 0.50ppm... but the API kits usually always show 0.25ppm! What did you add as your ammonia source? The bacteria are working well because you have a huge amount of nitrates present. This tells me you've had a lot of ammonia breaking down! If you used your old live rock without curing it this time, I suspect it is full of dead organics from the last tank and slowly breaking down into ammonia... leading to the really high nitrates.

Also, read the API test kit directions. Some of their tests wasn't you to compare the test tube color to the card by looking down thru the top of thes vial target than from these side. That wel change the colors you see some as well. I can't recall which tests say to do that...i have their copper test and you look down thru the top on that one.

For Ammonia I used algae barn nitrocycle and no I did not use my old rock actually used new dry rock because I didn’t cure my old rock and yes I have tried looking at it from the top and still always gives me the same results

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing the color differences with inside light and outside daylight! The nitrate is a little difficult to tell the color compared to the card. But, it seems the ammonia is really low if not zero with outside light and 0.5ppm with inside light! But as said previously, API almost always shows some ammonia with their test. Because of that, I don't use it.

I use Red Sea for ammonia testing and Salifert for nitrate testing... easier for me to tell the color differences on those tests!

But, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the ammonia test from yesterday to today. So either the ammonia isnt there or something slowly leaking ammonia. New dry rock so probably not that unless dead organics in the rock. I used pukani rock and it had a lot of dead organics from probably a million years ago that released organics for a longtime. I cured that dead rock for 6 weeks to clean it out!

So, hard to give advice besides maybe try a different test kit to validate...or take a chance and start with a hardy fish, like a clownfish.

REEFLIFE.27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing the color differences with inside light and outside daylight! The nitrate is a little difficult to tell the color compared to the card. But, it seems the ammonia is really low if not zero with outside light and 0.5ppm with inside light! But as said previously, API almost always shows some ammonia with their test. Because of that, I don't use it.

I use Red Sea for ammonia testing and Salifert for nitrate testing... easier for me to tell the color differences on those tests!

But, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the ammonia test from yesterday to today. So either the ammonia isnt there or something slowly leaking ammonia. New dry rock so probably not that unless dead organics in the rock. I used pukani rock and it had a lot of dead organics from probably a million years ago that released organics for a longtime. I cured that dead rock for 6 weeks to clean it out!

So, hard to give advice besides maybe try a different test kit to validate...or take a chance and start with a hardy fish, like a clownfish.

Rock is dead new so I know it’s not the rocks and I didn’t want to use my old rock and wait for it to cycle. no difference I always get the same reading for ammonia and (nitrate =10-20 ppm) I don’t really want to add anymore ammonia I used algae barn nitro cycle and fritz 900 which should of cycled the tank in a week haven’t done a water change I always wait till everything hits zero but with this tank it’s not the case. I’ll try and test my water at a lfs or get a clownfish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back