New to Saltwater Tanks - Starting Biocube 29g Reef Tank

NickatNite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I am new to saltwater aquariums and have recently picked up a used 29g Coralife Biocube.
After a month or so of research through forums like R2R (thanks for the help already!), I decided to start a thread to help guide some of the decisions in the coming months. Apologies if (and I'm sure there is) a thread like this, but I would love to keep it updated as the months go on, with how the tank progresses.

My plan for corals is to have a softy/LPS tank with some suitable fish for a 29g tank...at this point I'm not too concerned with deciding what to stock the tank with, and will follow up with the time comes for some recommendations. Will start with stocking a few clownfish first though.

Equipment Plan:
  • Removing hood to run an AI Prime HD
    • Any recommendations for a decent mount (read the AquaIllumination mounts can damage cables/flex mount sagging into water?
    • Best height to mount above water line?
  • InTank Media Basket
  • (2) Koralia Nana (425gph) - at some point will consider an MP10, but it's a little hard to stomach now

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images.jpg

Good plan so far. I'd look at ATO's to make life easier.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome to the family! What you want to do is start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section. It's the best place to document your journey, keep an accurate timeline, and get some great advice from some of the most experienced reefers in the hobby. Plus, you get a nifty "Build thread contributor" badge. Glad to have you with us.

OP
OP
N

NickatNite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
null.jpg

Welcome to the family! What you want to do is start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section. It's the best place to document your journey, keep an accurate timeline, and get some great advice from some of the most experienced reefers in the hobby. Plus, you get a nifty "Build thread contributor" badge. Glad to have you with us.
Thanks so much!
Will re-post this in that section!

Glad to be a part of the family.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your aqua scape the AI prime will be amazing or lacking. I shot myself in the foot wanting a fancy aqua scape and basically scaped around the lights Hotspot. Something I will be fixing in the future by purchasing another prime. If you have a traditional rumble pile right in the middle it will work out just fine.

Take a look at my thread and I'm sure you'll find some valuable info including a mod for the intank media basket and how I set up my refugium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back