New to Saltwater tanks

jmcdflag

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Messages
23
Reaction score
25
Location
Flagstaff
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've had freshwater tanks in the past but am now itching to try out the saltwater hobby.
Been reading like crazy and my current plan is to pick up a IM 14G fusion to learn on and then get a larger ~75 gallon tank down the road and repurpose the small tank as a quarantine tank.
Everyone says bigger tanks are easier to maintain but they are intimidating with the volume of water needed and the attendant mixing station, RO/DI setup, etc. and I'd rather make most of my mistakes with less investment. Weekly water changes don't bother me.
Am I thinking all wrong?
 
Hello & Welcome to R2R!
IMG_9396.jpeg
 
Hi, I've had freshwater tanks in the past but am now itching to try out the saltwater hobby.
Been reading like crazy and my current plan is to pick up a IM 14G fusion to learn on and then get a larger ~75 gallon tank down the road and repurpose the small tank as a quarantine tank.
Everyone says bigger tanks are easier to maintain but they are intimidating with the volume of water needed and the attendant mixing station, RO/DI setup, etc. and I'd rather make most of my mistakes with less investment. Weekly water changes don't bother me.
Am I thinking all wrong?
Welcome to the game.
 
Nothing wrong with small tanks. I had both and found out smaller tanks are way easier. Get a good lid to control evaporation and thatll solve 70 percent. The only downside depending is limited fish and invert stocking. I dont dose just my 100 percent water changes weekly. You can even automate with a doser pump to change.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome.gif
 
Hello and Welcome to R2R! I say go for the 75 now. I set up my RODI station in the garage and and do water changes every other week in the 180 with the between weeks in the 30 and 32. I don't ever check the parameters in the tank as I don't change anything and keep up with the water changes. My tank is happy
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new