New to Saltwater

wvreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all my name is Kelly

I have been doing alot of research on sw tanks and have found that I am going to make a reef tank with very few fish. I was woundering if anybody has tried making there own live rock like I have? I have about 100# soaking with skimmers to absorb the lime to lower the natural ph of the portland cement... I was woundering which is the best way to start growing the purple algie on the rocks and when to start placing my brain and sps corals in the tank?
Also is there a way to make my own lighting set up so I do not have to spend so much money on lighting? 500-700 is alot to spend on the lighting when the bulbs are only 30-40 for them all!!! Just asking?

Anyone with any sujestions please let me know my tank is a used 45 gal bow front with glass top, still working on a skimmer???

Which canister filter is the best but not too expensive to get??

Thanks, Kelly

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kelly! Welcome to the hobby! and welcome to R2R! Sorry, I don't know much about all that, my husband handles that part.. lol! Just wanted to welcome you to our family!

OP
OP
W

wvreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY

Tonya ty and I look forward to all the help I can get along with advise from everyone on here.

Kelly

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Check out the DIY forum Im sure you should be able to find info there

What kind od light are you going with?

Last edited:

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all my name is Kelly

I have been doing alot of research on sw tanks and have found that I am going to make a reef tank with very few fish. I was woundering if anybody has tried making there own live rock like I have? I have about 100# soaking with skimmers to absorb the lime to lower the natural ph of the portland cement... I was woundering which is the best way to start growing the purple algie on the rocks and when to start placing my brain and sps corals in the tank?
Also is there a way to make my own lighting set up so I do not have to spend so much money on lighting? 500-700 is alot to spend on the lighting when the bulbs are only 30-40 for them all!!! Just asking?

Anyone with any sujestions please let me know my tank is a used 45 gal bow front with glass top, still working on a skimmer???

Which canister filter is the best but not too expensive to get??

Thanks, Kelly
Welcome Kelly.
I met a guy a few months ago who made his own rock I will hook you up with him maybe he has some advise for you.
as far as lighting I know some people who use halogen lights he gets from Home depot and buys these reflector
sockets. they arent pretty and dont add much color but he has been keeping sps's and other corals for years I will pm you his info as well.
personally I would stay away from canister filters they can easily become nitrate factories just get yourself a good skimmer.
the skimmer I have will take care of your size tank especialy with a small fish load.
good luck with your tank. there are lots of great people here to help you:) pm sent

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe you could do something like this for your lighting?
175 Watt10K MH Mogul Base Pendant Kit

$279.99

The ultimate HQI Aquarium Pendant Light is here!
Professional design combines flexibility and ruggedness for outstanding performance. Each unit is manufactured from powder-coated aluminum in the USA. Heat dissipation slots on both sides maintain ventilation, while a quick-disconnect IEC connector and harness connects easily to the genuine IceCap ballast. A computer-designed Miro4 reflector works at 95% reflectivity to maximize lighting efficiency. Tempered glass lens and an easy slide door frame are designed to withstand any saltwater environment. IceCap HQI metal halide bulbs are designed to offer consistent color and high PAR values A completely silent, electronic IceCap ballast minimizes spitting on the arc tube and includes a standard 3-year warranty on service and parts. A complete metal halide plug and play aquarium lighting solution! Includes a 175W, 10,000K Mogul base Metal Halide Bulb, an IceCap Electronic Metal Halide Ballast, and Pendant Lamp

OP
OP
W

wvreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know yet, I am looking at metal halide but not for sure yet
I want my reef tank to grow the best it can and I know lighting is not the place to skimp on quality

so any ideas would be great

thanks, kelly

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need a filter system, a good skimmer is best. Check out Hellolights.com, Coraline algae comes with lighting, and proper chem levels of Mg, Ca, and Alk. once you get it be sorry every time you have to scape that bow front glass!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 2 R2R, keep a eye out in the for sale dry goods forum, also try you local area on craigs list, I picked up a four bulb t-5 fixture with new bulbs, duel fans, and led moon light for $ 50 bucks, works great over my frag tank,

OP
OP
W

wvreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the great advise I will be posting as I start setting up my tank, can't wait but must be patient and go slow go FAST and Crash they say so don't wont that........ Just looked in on my man made rock and it is doing great, ph is around 8.2 or lower so going good there, it is in tap water right now so will be soaking in salt in a few days or so.....

thanks, Kelly

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back