New to School

LW_BrownBio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I am looking at creating a marine tank for my classroom. I would like to be able to have my students be able to observe a variety of organisms in the marine environment. I am new to maintaining a marine aquarium, but I know the animals. What equipment would you suggest to get started in the classroom? I have a 55Gal Tank that I would like to use, but I have other sizes available.

What species would you suggest once the set up is primed? I would especially like to include echinoderms.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! The width of the 55g can make it a challenging size (especially for reef keeping), but could be an interesting provide good viewing for the urchins, starfish, etc. A 40b may be another size to consider for a lagoon style tank.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I set up a saltwater tank in her classroom many years ago when she was teaching. We used a 40-gallon and had only a few fish in the tank and the coral idea for the clown to host will be a great idea. One of them we still have the clown fish. The 40-gallon was easy to keep up with.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon softy tank at work. I would stick to simple corals and fish as you will most likely be gone from the tank all weekend. I would also recommend a sump or AIO (all in one) instead of HOB (hand on back) equipment which can leak and if you're not around to catch it can make a mess.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I teach high school.

That's great there's a lot of chemistry in the water too. Just in case more than biology is being taught.

Here' my 40, I'm more about the fish then making pretty cabinets. On the right is the clown fish and nem, middle is the goby, pistol shrimp is no doubt in the sand somewhere. The bottom of the tank is in constant flux. I have a radiata urchin in there too. No sump just hang on stuff...Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, UV light, heater, and powerheads. As mentioned earlier feeding needs to be everyday and multiple times a day. There are auto feeders and a million ways to set up a tank so this is just one simple example. I'm fascinated by the symbiotic relationships of the ocean so I set about recreating them at home. As for the stars you mentioned there are some that will work in the aquarium but not many. Mostly because they eat sponges and other stuff you can easily keep brittle or serpent stars. I stay away from sand shifting stars because they eat all the microfauna in your sand. You can keep chocolate chip stars but they eat coral.

IMG_2387.JPG

OP
OP
L

LW_BrownBio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great there's a lot of chemistry in the water too. Just in case more than biology is being taught.

Here' my 40, I'm more about the fish then making pretty cabinets. On the right is the clown fish and nem, middle is the goby, pistol shrimp is no doubt in the sand somewhere. The bottom of the tank is in constant flux. I have a radiata urchin in there too. No sump just hang on stuff...Aquamaxx HOB skimmer, UV light, heater, and powerheads. As mentioned earlier feeding needs to be everyday and multiple times a day. There are auto feeders and a million ways to set up a tank so this is just one simple example. I'm fascinated by the symbiotic relationships of the ocean so I set about recreating them at home. As for the stars you mentioned there are some that will work in the aquarium but not many. Mostly because they eat sponges and other stuff you can easily keep brittle or serpent stars. I stay away from sand shifting stars because they eat all the microfauna in your sand. You can keep chocolate chip stars but they eat coral.

IMG_2387.JPG
I was looking mostly at the brittle stars, because they are my favorite and I used to do research on them. Thank you for sharing your tank. I am on a budget and trying to piece things together in an affordable manner. I may be able to add a little here and there as the years go on.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back