New to sumps and need plumbing help

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debate I have decided to go with a sump on my new build. I just got the Deep Blue 57g edge and Trigger Systems Emerald 26 refugium/sump with an Eheim 1250 return pump. I am worried about not having the knowledge to plumb my tank correctly, leading to ultimate disaster (tank is on a hardwood floor, and 50 gal of water on the floor and not in my tank would lead me to sleeping on the porch instead of with my wife!!) I read about all the ways to make the plumbing fail safe but the more I read the more confused I become. My plan is to install the 1'' drain that comes with the Deep Blue plumbing kit. I did replace the bulk heads with new sch 40 bulk heads. I plan to use the flexible tubing for the drain and the return. I need help plumbing the return, and possibly the drain if there are opinions on better ways to do this. I would like some piece of mind know when I lay my head down the first night I fill the tank that there water will stay where its supposed to. Please Help.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the running water line in the sump low enough if and when the power goes out the sump can hold all the water that ends up getting dumped into the sump from the display.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I adjust the running water line in the sump? Sorry I know that may be a dumb question, but like I said I am completely new to this aspect of the hobby.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a risky business to start with just like driving to work everyday :); No one would dare to guarantee the tank won't leak and no water will ever flood your wood floor..... Or the porch instead of the wife if whatever happens :)

I came in with a risk that I am willing to take and I think so are other reefers.

The more you plan, the better outcome you get and of course the less chance of hitting the porch. Ask away, we have many willing to help reefers on R2R.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im assuming you'll be using an ato device. Where ever you place it, that will be your water line

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the plumbing, make sure everything is glued well so there's no leaks. Regardless you'll still need to do a test run and check for leaks. At that time you can confirm if the sump can hold enough water to prevent any flooding. You can fix any noted leaks and adjust water line after test run

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank in build at the moment and I went with a herby drain and am doing the return up and over the back edge. Less likely to flood if your drain clogs. I am in the same boat as you in trying to figure out the plumbing and doing it right. Look into the Herbie and see what u think.

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JWhite807, I also have a Deep Blue 57 and was scared the first time I set it up after purchasing it used and breaking it down that day for set up! I found this video to be EXTREMELY helpful! Check it out:

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan on using an ATO. I am actually in the process of trying to decide which one to buy. I was looking at the tunze osmolater nano, but some say I should go with the 3155. Still undecided so your onions are welcome. As far as the plumbing goes, I don't have to worry about all these different setups I read about ex: herbie, durso etc.... siphon this siphon that? Also is my return pump going to be large enough? I will also be running a Jebao RW-4.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank in build at the moment and I went with a herby drain and am doing the return up and over the back edge. Less likely to flood if your drain clogs. I am in the same boat as you in trying to figure out the plumbing and doing it right. Look into the Herbie and see what u think.

Thanks I will take a look.

JWhite807, I also have a Deep Blue 57 and was scared the first time I set it up after purchasing it used and breaking it down that day for set up! I found this video to be EXTREMELY helpful! Check it out:

Good luck!

Great Video, thank you.

Did either of you guys do a build thread for your tanks?

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I recently joined so did not record the process although I had to act quickly since I was combining 2 tanks into a new set up. One of the little things I learned is that you may notice a drip area on your return arm (the flexible tube that directs the water back into the tank that extends from the rear overflow well..?) which I was going to silicone thinking it was a leak. Well, its not, it is purposely there incase the power goes out water won't siphon back into the sump through the submerged return arm. I hope this makes sense, I am sorry, I don't know all the names of the parts yet. My LFS suggested I wedge a small block of filter sponge so the drip can't be heard but it will still keep the anti-siphon drip quite. Just a small suggestion.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back