New to sumps - help me design my custom made sump !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a custom 110 gallons tank with sump. Pretty much everything has been decided on, after many back and forth on my part and conversations.

What's left is the sump and I would like some advice from experienced reefers. I’ve researched the subject intensively and watched videos, all I’m missing is input from you guys.

The tank will be 48 x 24 x 22 high (bean animal overflow)
The sump will be 36 x 22 x 15 high

I want something that is going to grow with me but for now I want it simple and efficient.

So I was thinking to have 4 chambers (there will be a separate 10 gallons tank used as an ATO reservoir)
- 3 x media cup holders
- skimmer
- refugium
- return pump

The skimmer chamber will be expandable, in case I change my skimmer for a bigger one.

There will be 2 bubble traps if possible, but at least one.
I also want to be able to add a roller mat eventually, at least one reactor, and 4 dosers. In the future, not for now.

Here is a picture of something that I like (from a Youtube video).

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks !

1697064314241.jpeg

xyzner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found the chambers after the filter socks/fleece roller to be best as few possible before the return pump chamber. Long story short, the picture you provided has it right. Even better if you can move a baffle for protein skimmer size and extra equipment, fuge/no fuge etc. Makes it future proof, both tank and equipment wise. Just my two cents!

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better if you can move a baffle for protein skimmer size and extra equipment, fuge/no fuge etc. Makes it future proof, both tank and equipment wise. Just my two cents!
That’s what I meant when I wrote « expandable skimmer chamber». I wasn’t sure how to put it. Thanks ! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back