1420952844038.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 161

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ditch the bubbler. For a few reasons. it will spash out water and like fishroom said, will cause some salt creep. (salt creeping out of your tank, over the sides, up the walls, on the lids, etc) and it will also have an affect on your pH levels. Probably making it unstable or too high. Not only that, but it makes the tank look too artificial. Saltwater tank owners usually go for a more natural, reef looking tank, so as you progress in the hobby, you will want to add some corals and will end up taking it out anyway because it just won't look right. The same goes with artificial plants. Just doesn't look right in a reef system.

What equipment do you have? What is your powerhead rated for gph? How about filtration? Do you have a skimmer? As for the lights, you really only need better lights if you are going with corals or anemones, so your stock lights will do just fine for now. Try to worry about getting your other equipment first. Filter, skimmer, powerhead, etc.

As for the fish, Clowns are good and hardy. Yellowtailed blue damsels are bullet proof and peaceful. NOTE, YELLOWTAILED blue damsels are the only peaceful damsels. Others can be territorial and aggressive. Firefish, Royal Grammas are good for beginners as well. go to Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and look through their beginners fish. You can even filter the results by tank size so it's a great place to do some research on livestock.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no skimmer, and just have regular over the top filter, my power head is 300gph, as far as the bubbler I'm going to get a in line air adjustment valve so there won't be very may bubble coming out.
I'm only planning on doing the fish only tank any way, atleast til I can afford to do a bigger tank

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my wife is running out of patients, it's been 3 weeks and still can't put fish in yet.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this is, look like hair on the rocks, maybe some sort of algae?

Attachments

• 1421791640399.jpg
    1421791640399.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 154

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not bad but it's annoying especially if you have corals what's the size of your tank? Nitrate and nitrite and phosphate readings? And do u over feed?

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 35 gal octagon tank, have no fish yet, still cycling the tank, ammonia is 0 and nitrites are still high, nitrates are 30ppm

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use seachem stability trust me it'll lower nitrites. And that'll then lower nitrates. And algae is normal for a new tank.

OP
OP
M

mallery8p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using microbe lift nitrifying bacteria, for the ammonia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back