New to SW - inheriting an active tank

Mdoolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having to move a “30g biocube” tomorrow that houses an “anemone, clown fish and a couple other fish”

The owner has passed away and the apartment needs to be emptied.

1. I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to SW so send resources my way!

2. Can I bucket and transport anemone and fish the same as with FW?

3. Tell me I’m not going to screw this up ‍♀️

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to get 5 gallon buckets. Siphon out the water. Place fish in them. Rock in others. Anemone in another. Leave the sand in the tank and make sure carrying the tank is a comfortable weight.

Have the new area prepped. Place tank on it. Put enough water and rock back in the tank and get the heater going. Get the water back to temp... transfer some water back and forth to the fish bucket if possible to acclimate them to the temp.

Once the sand storm settles get them back in the tank.

But all of this assumes you have a basic knowledge of marine tanks. Salinity, common sense things on how to treat the critters, etc... but it is not that hard if the driving distance is short and the weather is normal.

Honestly I would give it all away to someone who knows what they are doing. It does not sound like a big investment there. You could always take the stuff to a local fish store and donate it to them. Call ahead. Maybe they will give you some other stuff you can use if you are into fresh water. Like some fish food or what not if they feel they can promptly sell the critters and whatever else in it. Like 20 bucks worth of trade.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to keep the tank for your personal enjoyment? If not, agree with fcmatt.

Inheriting a tank is hard bc u have very little info on the previous owner's parameters, routines, salt mix, testing kits.
Unless they were extremely organized and have all the directions for everything, you're looking at $100-$150 just in test kits. Assuming the previous owner wasn't in the best of health, good chance the tank is having, or is soon to have, some issues as well.

If the bug has bitten you though, and you want it. Do it! Great fun. Just a lot steeper learning curve than a tenant who leaves their hamster.

OP
OP
Mdoolittle

Mdoolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting to keep the tank for your personal enjoyment? If not, agree with fcmatt.

Inheriting a tank is hard bc u have very little info on the previous owner's parameters, routines, salt mix, testing kits.
Unless they were extremely organized and have all the directions for everything, you're looking at $100-$150 just in test kits. Assuming the previous owner wasn't in the best of health, good chance the tank is having, or is soon to have, some issues as well.

If the bug has bitten you though, and you want it. Do it! Great fun. Just a lot steeper learning curve than a tenant who leaves their hamster.

I hope to keep it and learn. The previous owner loved his tank and died suddenly. His mother reached out asking if I would be willing to take it on. I am willing to put in the time and money. I just need some guidance.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would start by getting a basic book or google for a basic website discussing the basics. It would be too much work on this forum to give you a minimum foundation about keeping a reef tank.

We are much better at specific questions you are confused about. Not writing 20 pages worth of info on each item you need to know. Just being real here.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then important to keep temp as stable as possible during this time. Also will need some flow in buckets

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Salty Side!! I hope the move goes well and I think you are going to fall in love with the hobby! Ask as many questions as you like as you just found the best resource for all things Saltwater!! R2R is here to help!!

You can do it and when you get everything set back up in the tanks new home make sure to upload some pictures!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the fish in one bucket ....rock in another...nem in another.

If the drive isn't too long... You won't need battery bubblers. The rocking of the car should promote gas exchange.

Dispose and replace the sand when you set it up as you do not want trapped nasties being released and causing problems. Be sure to rinse the new sand as it clouds badly otherwise...also be sure to buy sand made for saltwater (arganite). Live or dry is fine.

You will need to have freshly mixed salt water on hand to replace some of the water as you won't be able to get it out and a small water change would likely be benificial. Plan on at least 5 gallons.

Generally you want to mix this water to 1.026 but I would also test the water too just to see what it is running at.

Do not use tap water...you need RODI or distilled. You will need this for top offs too.

OP
OP
Mdoolittle

Mdoolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would start by getting a basic book or google for a basic website discussing the basics. It would be too much work on this forum to give you a minimum foundation about keeping a reef tank.

We are much better at specific questions you are confused about. Not writing 20 pages worth of info on each item you need to know. Just being real here.

Right.. which is why I requested links to sites you recommend ‍♀️ I have been doing my own research for two days now, but thought you guys may have some specific bloggers or companies you trust for educating.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok also it is best to leave existing sand undisturbed if that cannot be accomplished better to replace all the sand and start with new. All the rock will have good bacteria. So existing water, rock and new sand is far better than using old sand bed especially if the tank was old and well established.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos from Bulk Reef supply called 52 weeks of reefing. Very informative. But I will tell you, you will get better and more precise answers on this site. It it packed with very knowledgeable people.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it then. It's just something you have to enjoy!

Your problem is there are things you will need to have tomorrow. I'd inventory what the previous owner still has, and how much of it you can find the directions for. Hopefully there is a refractometer.

All tank equipment aside, you need a reliable refractometer and suitable water supply before you can move the tank.
30g is kind of a grey area between a RODI filter and in-home salt mixing and relying on your LFS.

Within a few days, you'll want your test kits. Ammonia is prob the most important when moving a tank.

No rocket science moving the livestock. Try not to let the corals touch and either dispose of, or transport the sand separately and clean it well.

Getting an nem to release its foothold on whatever it is attached to is also important (unless you can transport it on its rock). If you injure its foot, it's likely to die.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply has a 52 weeks of reefing video series, covers a bunch of topics, super interesting,

there is a ton of information here, can be overwhelming, but feel free to ask.

when you you have to move this thing by?
what comes with it? test kits supplies, ect?
where are you located? someone close by might be able to take a look at it with you and give you a hand on crash course to get you started.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem we are going to run into. We know that an old sand bed can cause trouble but this is a 30 gallon biocube. There is probably only 15 lbs of sand in the tank. Barely 1 inch deep. It would hardly be my main concern.

What would be helpful is what exactly are you being given? Like all the supplies, tank, and etc.. in total? Any pics?

The anemone could be aptiasia. lol. So I feel we are trying to help but given only the bare minimum of what is going on.

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that’s it we don’t know could be a 2 inch deep bed that’s been sitting there for 8 years. If that’s the case sand bed is a major concern
This is the problem we are going to run into. We know that an old sand bed can cause trouble but this is a 30 gallon biocube. There is probably only 15 lbs of sand in the tank. Barely 1 inch deep. It would hardly be my main concern.

What would be helpful is what exactly are you being given? Like all the supplies, tank, and etc.. in total? Any pics?

The anemone could be aptiasia. lol. So I feel we are trying to help but given only the bare minimum of what is going on.

mcdrichj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely do an inventory on everything. Make a list feel free to post it here. Look for salt mix and test kits then note brands. I would also get rid of the old sand. Be very careful with the anemone if its stuck to the rock or the wall take time to remove it you dont want to damage the foot. If the tank is in good shape and good condition take pictures and set the rock up the same (or as close as you can) and put the powerheads in the same spots so you dont have any flow issues. Take note of any setting. If the tank is well established and is in good condition (looks like it was taken care of) try to set the tank up the exact same. If you do that then you will have to worry about much less while you get your feet wet with SW.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome9.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have sad, get a few pictures, make a list let us know what you have, if you don't know what something is post a picture and will well tell you. Be prepared to drop 100-300 bucks on things you'll need.
Some basic info on when you start testing your tank for good tank parameters.

Water Flow: Pumps should turn over the volume of the aquarium 10-15 times per hour
Temperature: between 75° and 80° F and constant - Should not move more than two degrees in one day
Ammonia: 0 ppm - Toxic if not 0
Nitrite: 0 ppm - Toxic if not 0
Nitrate: < 10 ppm - Can be toxic to livestock if too high
pH: between 8.1 and 8.4
Specific Gravity: 1.024-1.026 (1.025 is ideal)
Alkalinity: between 8 and 9.5 dKH
Phosphate: < .10 ppm
Calcium: 420-440 ppm
Magnesium: 1260-1350 ppm
Iodine: 0.06 ppm
Strontium: 5-15 ppm
Live Rock: 1-1.5 lbs per gallon

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check out the article on here, you can look up beginner topics

I'd also check out BRS videos they have a simple series on how to set up a saltwater tank which is really helpful to learn all the different equipment that you need and what the purpose of it is.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back