New to the hobby! Any advice?

Spartan02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I've set up my 38 gal tank and it's been running for about 2 months and it just finished it's cycle (I think). Today I bought a hammer coral and candy cane coral. Acclimated them for an hour and put them in the tank. The are all shriveled up... Is this normal? Also I noticed the candy came looks like a fish nipped at it or a tiny section is dying... Is the whole head dying? If anyone knows of any fast growing corals let me know!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've started out with 2 great choices for the beginner! They might stay shrivelled up for a short time. Maybe a day or 2.
Candy canes are pretty hardy and it should pull through. Mines been through a lot worse than fish nipping at it lol. A pic will help though.
Alot of softies are fast growing corals. Xenia and mushrooms normally grow very fast. The problem is they can grow too fast and potentially take over the tank. Candy canes are normally fast growers, mine has tripled in size in just a matter of months after my having not grown at all for about a year. Duncan's are fun to watch aswell and if they like the tank they're in they can grow really well too. They're a bit of a hit or miss occasionally though.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.:wave:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back