New To The Hobby - ORLANDO!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Thanks all. If anyone local to the Central Florida area knows of reputable LFS or places to shop let me know!

I used to go to a small shop up in Deltona, Storm Born Reef. Sarah was very careful with the fish she got and they tended to be in good to great condition. Unfortunately, she had to close for non store related issues.

Closest to me is Oceans Direct, They are a small shop and they are convenient for getting frozen food and other items, Their fish seem to be fine also.

The Orlando area has 3 of nationally known reef aquarium stores. Each has developed various varieties of corals. And each has a national reputation..

Of these, I like Top Shelf Aquatics the best. They have an excellent variety of corals, They have a big variety of various aquarium tests, and various reef paraphernalia. And their fish seem to be OK. I have had good luck with their corals. If they are not busy and you might get them to give you a tour through their coral farm. I would say as far as national reputation, Top Shelf is #2 in the area.

Another local store is World Wide Corals. World Wide Corals is probably #1 for national reputation based on their years of producing various kinds of corals. In facts, as far as a national reputation maybe only Jason Fox, and ORA have a bigger presence. For a boutique shop, I really like Battlecorals Which is definitely NOT LOCAL.

And there is also Pieces of the Ocean. They are a smaller operation than TSA and WWC, but they do have a number of highly regarded corals with their names attached.

I would say that one would be hard pressed to find a metropolitan area that has better reef aquarium stores than Orlando. And that is surprising, Orlando has great theme parks and many other things are second tier or third tier. But in reef aquarium stores, Orlando is right up there.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOPS, Pieces of the Ocean is not in Orlando but in New York. I have them confused with a local shop that I saw some years back. But WWC and TSA definitely are local.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, is that sound proofing on the walls? If so and if it’s because you do particularly noisy things in that room then that may no be the ideal spot to set up a tank as loud noises will scare fish and possibly stress corals. Welcome to the club!

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foam pads are for better recording quality when using a mic. Sometimes I'll play video games with friends or even when I record a voice over for my Youtube videos, you won't hear any echoing off the walls.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your tank is ready, I have frags you can have for free. Welcome to R2R =). I am in Orlando by universal studios

Wow. That's very generous of you! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I probably won't be adding any corals for a few months until I know everything has stabilized in the tank as well as when I come up with a proper dosing system I can automate.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's very generous of you! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I probably won't be adding any corals for a few months until I know everything has stabilized in the tank as well as when I come up with a proper dosing system I can automate.
Good job on being patience! But you can add easy corals early and it's good to have corals to build up your biodiversity. Letting your tank run sterile for months is not good if you starting out with just dry rock. If you need a small live rock to seed your tank, let me know.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, but I think I'm going to stick with my plan of getting a few fish and inverts and making sure I can keep them alive for a few months... After that, bring on the corals!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back