New to the hobby setting up a new tank in the next few months.

GritCity Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby this will be my first salt water tank. Going to be getting a glass 36 x 36 x 24 square tank with a 36 x 36 x 30 stand. For lighting I’m thinking 2 Radion Xr15w pros. I’m going to have crystal reef aquatics here in Washington build me a custom sump with built in ATO. For the return pump I’m going to go with an Ecotech M1 and for flow in the tank to start at least to start off 2 Ecotech MP40wQDs. I plan this to be a mixed reef with a variety of corals will be adding a calcium reactor before venturing into SPS. Does this setup seem pretty solid ? Any recommendations? Also if any large cube owners can throw in their 2 cents on how to get good flow that would be great I’ve read that’s an issue. Thanks everyone.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R! :)

That sounds like a great set up. I would recommend a bare bottom tank if you are concerned with flow. Sand makes it more difficult because higher flow will make it blow around.

BRS and WWC teamed up and BRS has a video for setting up a new tank. It is worth the time to watch it.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker @scott11106 @Captain Quint @SPR1968 Thank you for the welcome messages and yes i will have pics as soon as i have all my gear :). @IslandLifeReef i wish i liked the look of bare bottom tank but its not my favorite would using a more course larger sand help ?
Welcome to R2R!
The special grade sand is good for not blowing around too much:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/special-grade-arag-alive-live-reef-sand-caribsea.html

Are you planning dry rock, live rock, synthetic biofiltration(biospheres, etc.)?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker @scott11106 @Captain Quint @SPR1968 Thank you for the welcome messages and yes i will have pics as soon as i have all my gear :). @IslandLifeReef i wish i liked the look of bare bottom tank but its not my favorite would using a more course larger sand help ?

Thank you.

The substrate @Matt Carden showed is a good grade being 1.0 - 2.0 and doesn't blow around much at all and the sand a sand sifter such as a goby do okay with a max of ~1.7 mm grain size.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Carden also i plan on using live tonga branch rock assuming my LFS has it still when i am ready if not i will do dry tonga branch. And in the sump i plan on a refugium with rock some miracle mud and chaeto algae.
Don't buy them "live" from LFS unless there is coralline and critters, sponges, etc. Waste of money. All you usually get from LFS "live" rock is bacteria. You can get that from a bottle. You can buy dry Tonga branches, bottled bacterial, heater, powerhead, garbage can and make your own "live" rock. If you add real ocean live rock to the mix you will have true live rock by the time you have your tank setup.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Find a source of real live rock and you will create a better ecosystem in a short amount of time. Check around your area for some of the better Reef stores and see what they can do for you! You might have to travel north to Seattle, Redmond, and Bellvue.

Maybe Crystal view can help out. Not sure what they have to offer besides great tanks and sumps.

OP
OP
GritCity Reef

GritCity Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Captain Quint i appreciate the knowledge already glad i made this post learning new things i didn't know the sand i had picked probably would have been blowing all over the place. @Matt Carden @Lowell Lemon appreciate both you guys giving good feedback I'm very open to both approaches either dry or live but like you had said Matt if its got no critters whats the point. And Lowell yeah when I'm ready for rock im going to look at the shops in Renton and Bellvue and Seattle and probably Crystal Reef Aquariums since they are doing my build. I really like the look of the tonga branch rock and i hear its very hard to come by live though so may end up going the dry rock route depending on what i can find and also price.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back