New to the hobby

CharlyItaly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, ciao There!

I'm from Italy (pls don't mind my english) and i've hit your forum occasionally whilst starting my brand new nano reef tank. Had held lots of freshwaters but i thought it was time for something more challenging!

Now as i am cycling my approx. 15 gal (btw we use liter and chilogram as units so i use google a lot) i have a few questions and i hope you can help me, as most of you have several years of experience :)

First of all i'll give you some information about my setup:
Tank - Amtra Nano System 60l
Hang on filter - Sicce Tidal 55
Hang on protein skimmer - AQpet 'Poseidon XS' (not active at the moment)
Flow pump - Sicce Voyager Nano 2000 l/h
Lighting - HM Electronics 'Cetus 2'
Live rock - 17 lbs
Live Sand - 9 lbs

PXL_20240429_133913266.jpg

PXL_20240429_133846650.jpg

I started the tank last friday. (26th of April)

First of all i want to cycle my tank. So i am adding live bacteria on a daily basis ( i read that you "cannot" add too much of them ) for a week and will keep adding once in a week reaching a month.
What do i have to expect? Are there stages that i will see for sure? (Algae etc.?)
Btw. i already have a visible inhabitant (little peanut worm)
After i have done the first month of cycling and tested the water at a local store, if the parameters are on point i will add my first fish. I prefer adding a fish before i add corals.

Okay, i think for now it's enough information.

What do you think?
Any recommandations?
Happy to read soon from you reefers out there :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice looking tank and Good Luck.

If you already have a Peanut Worm, things are probably on track. Besides the bacteria, the bacteria need something to feed them you can use Ammonium Chloride or a piece of shrimp or clam. Just something smallish that will produce some Ammonia to feed the bacteria. If you test the water after a few days you should see some Ammonia, maybe Nitrite and Nitrate. When a tank starts up and you add a source of Ammonia and a bacteria culture you will normally see a progression. First Ammonia and no Nitrite or Nitrate. As the bacteria start to process the Ammonia you will see the Ammonia level start to decrease and start seeing some Nitrite. That is the first group of bacteria starting to filter the water. A little while later you will see the Ammonia continue to decrease, Nitrite will probably continue the increase and you will start to see some Nitrate. That is the second group of bacteria starting to process. Once you see zero Ammonia, zero Nitrite and soma Nitrate, your tank is probably cycled. Adding another source of Ammonia to verify that it processes to Nitrate would confirm it. When you add fish, or anything else, start slowly as the bacteria will need to multiply to process the new bio-load.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
C

CharlyItaly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice looking tank and Good Luck.

If you already have a Peanut Worm, things are probably on track. Besides the bacteria, the bacteria need something to feed them you can use Ammonium Chloride or a piece of shrimp or clam. Just something smallish that will produce some Ammonia to feed the bacteria. If you test the water after a few days you should see some Ammonia, maybe Nitrite and Nitrate. When a tank starts up and you add a source of Ammonia and a bacteria culture you will normally see a progression. First Ammonia and no Nitrite or Nitrate. As the bacteria start to process the Ammonia you will see the Ammonia level start to decrease and start seeing some Nitrite. That is the first group of bacteria starting to filter the water. A little while later you will see the Ammonia continue to decrease, Nitrite will probably continue the increase and you will start to see some Nitrate. That is the second group of bacteria starting to process. Once you see zero Ammonia, zero Nitrite and soma Nitrate, your tank is probably cycled. Adding another source of Ammonia to verify that it processes to Nitrate would confirm it. When you add fish, or anything else, start slowly as the bacteria will need to multiply to process the new bio-load.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you very much. I was wondering if i ahould add some food to start the ammonia-cycle. I will give the peanutworm something to do :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back