New to the hobby

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there air bubbles in the return? Either that or the return is set too high for the overflow to catch up. Did you put a flow valve on the return? That way you can turn it down. I believe you have the same return pump as mine. You can dial it down.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back to look what pump you have, it's way too high for your overflow to handle. Your gonna have to dial it down and if it doesn't help your gonna have to put in a flow valve on your return.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back to look what pump you have, it's way too high for your overflow to handle. Your gonna have to dial it down and if it doesn't help your gonna have to put in a flow valve on your return.

It's turned down all the way. Man it's going to be a ***** to take it all apart and add a flow valve (I don't know how to do that at all lol).

Although in the main thread they pointed out my filter sock was crazy dirty. I took it out, gave it a good washing, put it back in and low and behold it's running and maintaing now (other than the dang overflow making all that noise. Going to make that muffler tonight maybe).

I have no idea how the filter sock got that dirty that fast, unless it was from all the messing around with the tank we did the last coupel days.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks can get clogged real fast. You should purchase another set to change it out often.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be able to help tomorrow but I'm not sure just yet when. I have a doc appointment between 11 to noon. Then gotta pickup some lights as we're scheduling that tomorrow morning. Do you remember the size of your pipes? We're meeting at Lowes off nolensville rd and you can meet me there too. We can get the flow valve to install. Unless you just want to pick one up and I can come over to show you how it's done. Basically on your return where it turns into 90, in that area is where you would do it.

sandalscout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks can get clogged real fast. You should purchase another set to change it out often.

Yep, this. I've never run socks because I haven't found the need to, and I'm only running small AIO tanks now, but most people change their socks every day or two and run without them when on vacation.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be able to help tomorrow but I'm not sure just yet when. I have a doc appointment between 11 to noon. Then gotta pickup some lights as we're scheduling that tomorrow morning. Do you remember the size of your pipes? We're meeting at Lowes off nolensville rd and you can meet me there too. We can get the flow valve to install. Unless you just want to pick one up and I can come over to show you how it's done. Basically on your return where it turns into 90, in that area is where you would do it.

It would be next week before we could do anything. I work all day tomorrow till I go to the knee doctor and then we are leaving straight from there to go to NC to visit the gf's family.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sump is running pretty well other than getting that dang protein skimmer broke in and it seems like I'm losing a lot to evaporation. Need to get the ATO set up correctly.

Also definitely need to do one of those standpipes to quiet the overflow. It's kind of annoying how loud it is.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so want a ATO on my 90 so I don't have to constantly topping off on a daily basis but no room for one in the stand and I can't put nothing beside the stand as a promise when I first got it setup no equipment can be seen.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be running smooth right now. It's amazing how much longer a filter sock lasts before clogging up when you actually have the protein skimmer running right. Found that using some filter floss around the skimmer returns catches a lot of the microbubbles, just have to remember to change it out often until the skimmer breaks in and stops generating so many.

Anyone have any ways to fill gaps in the lid besideds filter floss? Trying to prevent losing another goby to jumping.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about at the top of the tank? You can do one of those DIY screens you can purchase or have one made.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about at the top of the tank? You can do one of those DIY screens you can purchase or have one made.

There's still a gap where the return line is and considering the last goby we had somehow managed to jump out in the tiny space between the overflow box and glass canopy, I'm nervous about any opening now.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use netting like the ones you get with bags of onions. Just tape it on those areas to block them from jumping out. I staple the nettings across the inner sides of my canopy and tape remaining down onto the sides of the tank.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gone troublea until I built my top. It's just plastic egg crate stripped back to just the frame and the super small brs clear netting. Works great and no light loss. I've got a diamond in there and knock on wood we've had him a long time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back