New to the hobby

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem with the piping is the more curves and height you hit cuts down the flow a bit more. Personally I prefer just the tubing.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes forgot about the hose clamps just like what was posted above. If you need one in a crunch critter have those. Make sure you buy the right size. I would bring in the pump and the tubing to right fit. If they're out of it, I have a couple that might be the right fit.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wound up getting the clamps, loc-line, etc I needed today at the critter on lunch. Just have to go by home depot tonight and get a different elbow set up and the pipe dope. Probably going to replace the threaded fittings as I did not know if i over tighten them i will mess the threads up.

Does anyone remember the name of the company at the reef expo that had the biofilter media? It wasn't marine pure. I got a business card but lost it. They were a both in the right hand corner at the front right as you walked in.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the entrance was brightwell aquatics so that's right. Everything going all right?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the entrance was brightwell aquatics so that's right. Everything going all right?

So far. Haven't had time to finish putting it together. Should be able to this weekend though. Think I actually have everything to put the sump and mesh top together.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it up and running. Not ready to take pics yet, my wiring is a mess as far as power cords go lol. It's running fine, it did take a lot more water than I was thinking to get it all going, but we were already down a couple inches due to evaportation anyways.

Only problem I've noticed so far is the overflow box making a lot of noise. Need to go do some searching on the cause of that.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give gurgle Buster's a look. I built my own for my 90s overflow box and it's pretty quiet.

I'll check it out. Only other noisy thing really is the protein skimmer return and I figure I can just up the water level so that it's not falling as far from the return openings to hit the water. And even then, that sound isn't really annoying, kind of like a waterfall. The overflow box gurgle is kind of annoying though.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everything is up and running. I'll try and get some pictures tonight. Only issue I'm working now is getting the protein skimmer running correctly but without putting a massive amount of little bubbles into the tank. Any advice?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it new? Will take some time to settle in

I've had it for a couple months. But I don't think we had it running the right way at first when it was haning on the back because it was putting so many bubbles in that we turned it way down. And then for the last couple weeks it hasn't been running at all.

For right now I took the sponges off the return lines for the skimmer and have them sort of as a wall between the skimmer section and the return section. It helps some but not a lot. Was wondering if there was some kind of workaround for that until it breaks in.

Maybe putting a sponge like that on the return valve in the tank?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm not sure whagt happened today but when I got home I can't seem to keep the intake side from overflowing or the return side from sucking too much water down.
20180612_185442.jpg
20180612_185440.jpg
20180612_185437.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back