New to the hobby

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also try to get one that have a stable skimmer chamber that stays the same height regardless. Mine has a fuge chamber which is nice as I can use it but it doesn't stay constant height in the return chamber which is the only place I can put the skimmer. Unless I yank all the sand out of the fuge side and put skimmer there. But then I would have to basket the chaetos with in so it doesn't get sucked up.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my frag tank and sump were delivered I realized that the sump was too big to go in the stand from either the front or back. The only way to get it in was to put it in from the top of the stand before the tank was placed on the stand. That meant that if I needed to take the sump out I would have to drain the tank and move it out of the way first. I was not happy about that but that was like the old saying "you got what you got".

I think every stand should have an end door. I plan in the event I need to remove the sump to cut a square out of the end of the stand a little bigger than the sump and save the piece I cut out and put it back on with hinges.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure building my own sump is the way to go for me lol. I'd prefer buying the pieces and then doing what I can to install them myself, and get help for what I can't do. I saw this setup today but I think I can buy what i need for cheaper considering I already have a skimmer. That's assuming my skimmer will fit in any of the 30" sump tanks I'm looking at.
https://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_...m_Sump_Units-IceCap-CV408361-FIFRBSCU-vi.html

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever do it again I'll loklik pay someone to build. Me one as this particular build I've.managed to cut mysself more than ever, and we won't even talk about the glass panel my wife and I shattered the other night trying to cut baffles. But it's almost done.
IMG_20180522_193129.jpg
IMG_20180522_202336.jpg
IMG_20180522_193124.jpg
IMG_20180522_211031.jpg
IMG_20180522_211035.jpg
IMG_20180522_202348.jpg

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't even bother to try to build one. Years ago you would of been able to buy over flow boxes with sump really cheap as a combo set but they're super expensive now days.

Timothy McMeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went really simple with my sump. 29 gallon tank and silicone some acrylic baffles in there for an over under over approach.

Then this time made a custom built stand that has no center brace. My last tank was only able to fit in from the top as well.

20180411_203222.jpg

20180305_211532.jpg

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pain that I don't have a ATO on my 90 as there's no room for one as the other half doesn't want anything to be seen on the outside of the tank stand. There's absolutely no room for one in the stand unless it's a small one but then I will have limited space that I have to put the plugins. I have to look and see to attach them to the top of the stand or something. I love having the bigger sump as there's more water volume to play with.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch the video? It shows in a event just in case you lose power and it would lose siphon but that pump helps it to suck in water to restart the overflow box again to continue siphoning.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch the video? It shows in a event just in case you lose power and it would lose siphon but that pump helps it to suck in water to restart the overflow box again to continue siphoning.

Didn't get to watch the video yet. I was trying to finish up work so I can skip out.

I think I'm going to go with that setup I like that it has the ATO ability.

Now once I get it all in, whose gonna help me put it all together lol

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be fun for you to put it all together just the way you like it. I put together all of mine. Always not like something that the previous owner have done then I ended up changing a lot of stuffs. Unless I buy all new then I put everything together just the way I like it to be. I really wish I had more room for ATO.

Timothy McMeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Should be a good setup for you. Also PVC work is really easy.

Remember measure once and cut twice. Or is it the other way around. I can never remember :)

Just don't forget to use PVC cleaner and apply the glue evenly and twist the fittings together while joining them together this will help insure a nice clean seal.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course they haven't shipped yet because the 25 ft of air tube line is out of stock right now. Umm hey, just ship everything else. I can buy 25 ft of tubing at freaking walmart.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't they just ship it, have you called them about it?

Yea I had to call them and tell them to ship it without the airline tubing and refund me the whopping 4.99 lol. On the bright side it appears they upgraded the shipping due to them not notifying me about that being out of stock. It's scheduled for delivery today! Then time to start prepping to put it all together. I actually still have no idea what to use/how to set up the filter compartment lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back