New to the hobby

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by jaxteller007, Apr 11, 2018.

1. MikeyTN

MikeyTN Active Member MTRCMember

But the main prize was won by a member. Understand what you mean about vendors winning. BUT it's the luck of the draw. The vendor guy that keeps winning only bought like $40 worth of ticket. Anyone can win really. My only thing is when we do the drawing is we need to shake the tickets real good and draw without looking. Cause the tickets when picked were similar numbers and that means it wasn't shaked real good.

jaxteller007 likes this.

2. jaxteller007

jaxteller007 Active Member MTRCMember

Maybe that was what was making it look worse. When we were there around 2 it was a lot of close numbers winning and they were almost all low numbers being drawn. The box wasn't being shaken real well when we watched.

But there were some really good deals on stuff.

3. jaxteller007

And of course the gf is at the house waiting on the people to come move the tank and apparently our tang is showing black ich and her favorite (bicolor blenny) is not looking well at all. They were fine saturday when we were at the apartment. No idea what could have happened between then and now. She's about over a tank because it seems like she's always the one that comes home to find the fish not doing well or a dead fish.

4. MikeyTN

That happened to me when we were moving years ago. The tanks were the last thing we moved and something happened while I wasn't at the old place. Ended up losing a couple fish because of it. That's why I dread moving. Fixing to have the electrical work done here at the house. Hopefully they don't have the power off for too long.

5. jaxteller007

Blenny didn't make it. Did get the black ich taken care of on the tang. Fish are back in the big tank now and water is doing fine. We're down to one original survivor (tang) from our apocalypse event and a fire shrimp bought shortly after that. We're going to have to upgrade the tank in a couple years, no way I'm giving Captain Jack Sparrow (tang) up when he gets full grown after he survived so much with us lol.

6. Timothy McMeans

Timothy McMeans Member MTRCMember

Sorry to hear that the blenny didnt make it. But good to hear the other guys are doing better

jaxteller007 likes this.
  7. jaxteller007

Yea the gf was really bummed but we have Benny the Blinny # 2 as of yesterday. Jack and the shrimp and the hermit crabs/snails and 1 starfish have been in the big tank since last sunday and we tested water every other day (along with a 50% water change last sunday and continued dosing of the stuff for the black ich). Water has actually tested really good and she wanted to go ahead and get another one so I folded and she got a blenny and 2 firefish (Benny and the Jets, I know, I know).

Told her we couldn't add any more fish for a couple weeks so we can do our best to avoid another apocalypse.

southerntnreefer likes this.
  8. jaxteller007

Side note on Jack. He's maybe the funniest fish I've ever had. He chases bubbles in the big tank. And then yesterday after the new guys were added, for like an hour every time my GF would walk up to the tank he would swim to the front of the tank and look at her and shake his whole body like he was saying "NO!". I think he had gotten use to being an only child lol. I wish she would have taken a regular video instead of snap chat so I could have saved it.

9. MikeyTN

Always a bummer when they don't make it. I bought two orchid dotty back from two different vendor at the swap and only can see one. The other one went into the rocks and never to be seen again. If he pops out I'll be really shocked.

jaxteller007 likes this.
  10. jaxteller007

Yea it really sucked to lose the first Blenny because he had survived so much. We thought he was in easy mode now. I don't know if it was the worms that caused that black ich that killed him or something spiked in the tank since we weren't there to monitor it each day for that week. We did lose the royal gramma during the week we weren't there so it's possible his death spiked the ammonia levels or something and killed the blenny. Who knows with fish though.

11. MikeyTN

Yes you never know. Now I'm catching my black midnight pygmy angel nipping on my corals. I'm gonna have to dip him out and put him down with the aggressive fishies. We knew it's a risk and he's been a model citizen for quite sometime til now. Nipping on my green star polyps.

12. jaxteller007

Hey how do i get one of those cool MTRC Member badges? We are members now lol.

13. jaxteller007

So here are some pics and measurements of what we have to work with in regards to a sump setup.
    20180521_175925.jpg 20180521_175922 (1).jpg 20180521_175915 (1).jpg

14. jaxteller007

From lip edge to divider in the middle is 15" on each side. From bottom lip to top lip is 21"
    Inside the cabinet.
    Shelf to top (bottom of tank) is 20"
    Remove shelf and it's 27" from the bottom to the top
    From side to side it's 47"
    Front to back is 16"
    Right now the wall to the tank edge is 5.5". We could extend that out to 7.5" without it being out in the living room too far.

15. MikeyTN

You have to message connie.

jaxteller007 likes this.
  16. MikeyTN

jaxteller007 likes this.
  17. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Welcome home, you will love it here!

jaxteller007 likes this.
  18. MikeyTN

Your gonna have to remove the shelving to do the sump. For that size you can do a good sized sump. My 90 have a 50g sump on the bottom. From what I was told anyways.

19. jaxteller007

I'm fine with removing the shelving to put a sump in. What I'm worried about is how to get the sump tank in. That divider is in the front and back. I'm guessing I'd have to pull the tank from the wall, slide the sump tank at an angle and then angle it back in. Go back and forth till it's in the cabinet.

Any recs on setups?

20. MikeyTN

My sump is inserted in from the backside as well. Make sure you do the acrylic. Don't do glass tank. Someone else did it and down the road the tank started leaking and they had to tear everything down to get the sump out and replace it with acrylic sump.

jaxteller007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted