OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead have the water retested at the store. I take it that's aquatic critter?

Yup. And actually it looks like we may be moving within the next two weeks. So either I'm going to see about a service that will move the tank and set it up or see if they will keep our fish until we move. I'd hate to bring them home and then 1-2 weeks later have to put them through a move.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and Nashville. I'm in Clarksville... definitely look into MTRC. Good group of people and monthly meetings are well attended. They are usually hosted at one of the local fish stores in the area.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and Nashville. I'm in Clarksville... definitely look into MTRC. Good group of people and monthly meetings are well attended. They are usually hosted at one of the local fish stores in the area.

Well definitely look into that after this move (hopefully, fingers crossed it all goes through) We are definitely going to make the big show. Trying to hold off buying any supplemental lights until then to see if we find a good deal. I really want to add a little more lighting to our tank.

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of many wise words that were spoke to me when I started in this hobby several years ago: "Nothing in this hobby happens fast" The more patience you have will always be more beneficial in the long run. I enjoy SPS the most which to me stands for "Slow Persistent Success" If I can ever help shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you move you should consider a sump.

I've been wanting to add one. Just not sure about the most cost effective way of adding one to the existing tank set up. The house we are moving to is 1 story on a slab and it's a rental, so any sump setup added would have to be something that sat in the cabinet under the tank. Can't be drilling in the wall or floor or anything.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works fine sitting it under the cabinet. Unfortunately you'd be looking at overflow box.

Welcome to the club! I agree overflow box would be the way to go. I have one ony 90 gallon and it works really well.

Yea I figured I'd need one. I need to look at what kind of space I'll need behind the unit before we have it moved. That way when it's set back up I can have enough space to do this without having to drain the water again, etc. Are there any articles or anything that show how to add a sump with an overflow box?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be a few on here somewhere, but where in middle tn will you be located? If local enough I may be able to help. I run one on this tank
IMG_20180421_143401.jpg

Been running almost a year with no troubles.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be a few on here somewhere, but where in middle tn will you be located? If local enough I may be able to help. I run one on this tank
IMG_20180421_143401.jpg

Been running almost a year with no troubles.

Nashville, moving to a house in the Antioch area near LaVergne. I'm not the handiest when it comes to plumbing, etc so the closer to "plug and play" I can get the better lol. Even if that means paying more. Heck I'm trying to avoid as much DIY as possible when it comes to putting a mesh top on the tank haha.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The future Mrs is going to want as little visible as possible if I tell her we are doing a sump set up. I'll take some pics tonight so I can give everyone an idea of the stand and what I have to work with.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is the same! Short of my ATO bucket you can't see much on my rig. Mosmre than happy to help even if it's just here! I suck at plumbing and I built mine!

What's the ATO bucket? Our tank is a 75g so it's like 48" long and 18" wide or something. It's on a wood cabinet that goes from end to end so I'd think that I should be able to keep everything in the cabinet.

With a sump, would my HOB filter just go inside that? So all that we should see on the tank itself would be a HOB overflow?

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow with the sump is plug in play. Not much is required. Just make sure to buy the good stuff. I had a overflow box fell apart years ago when I got mad and out of the hobby right afterwards. The acrylic that holds the two boxes together came apart and dump water all over my floor. I was not too happy when I came home.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out the reef show this weekend and gf bought us two memberships.

It was pretty neat although I was hoping for more new/used equipment. The amount of coral and stuff was awesome to check out.

Just a newby remark and just my opinion but I did notice quite a few people like us get a "what the heck" look on our faces when it seemed like every raffle winner was what we assumed were vendors with name badges around their necks. I realize that they probably bought the majority of raffle tickets but for those that weren't vendors, it was kind of odd to see vendors win so many of the raffle prizes. Maybe there could be something like two different raffles or something next time, one where vendors can buy, one for just your average hobbyists.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back