In need of new lighting

mckinleyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Still fairly new to the hobby been a little over a year now. I have a tank that is 48x24x30 and I want to make it a mixed reef. Does anyone have suggestions as far as lighting goes? I need to upgrade my current setup as it just doesn't seem to be doing it.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights do you currently have? What is your budget for the upgrade? You are going to get a lot of opinions on this.

OP
OP
M

mckinleyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have 2 popbloom rl90s and a fairly old ai sol blue that I grabbed from marketplace. I'm looking to stay under 1k for the upgrade

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are one of those components that are critical to tank success with corals and its painful but buy once cry once. I would suggest spending a little more and going with 3 XR15 lights. I use 2 over my 36 inch SPS dominant mixed reef tank.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 inch deep how high are the lights going to hang?

Like 1 foot above the water? 2 foot?

Since your used to popbloom, have you seen the Ecotech Radeon XR30 knockoff's?
They are called the A8 over on aliexpress.

a8.JPG

People are saying they are almost on par with the real thing, only the software is a bit inconvient vs mobius.

Just make sure they are the original A8, or i hear the A8 Pro on the newer ones.

for a 48 inch tank you will probably need 2 spread out 2 feet from each other.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For budget lights I like noopsyche K7s it's what I have running on the tank in my showcase. 2 or 3 should work. For a higher end single light a reefbreeder photon 48 would be a nice fit. Both come with tank mounts so that saves a few bucks. I have both running with no complaints.
I personally won't recommend radions until ecotech steps up and fixes Mobius so it doesn't change date and time randomly so you never know if the lights are going to run when they should. I use Mobius for power heads but I don't care if they change in the middle of the nights. Lights I want to run when they are set to run. This has been an ongoing issue with Mobius. Just last week it changed to 2010 and this happens often.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back