New Lights brown spots on sand

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So as the subject says I've got new Led lights for my tank 2 Nicrew 100s on a 40 Breeder and now I'm starting to get some brown spots on one spot of my sand Could my lights be turned up too high? Didn't have this issue before tank is 4 plus years old

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So as the subject says I've got new Led lights for my tank 2 Nicrew 100s on a 40 Breeder and now I'm starting to get some brown spots on one spot of my sand Could my lights be turned up too high? Didn't have this issue before tank is 4 plus years old
You could add a sand sifter like starfish, conch, or periscope snails. It might help

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a sand sifter like starfish, conch, or periscope snails. It might help
I do have a a Conch and he has been doing a good job I've also been taking a Turkey baster and mixing up the sand as well getting everything out of it but I've only noticed this when I turned up my lights to a recommended setting so wasn't sure if I should turn them down some or how to proceed

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your parameters? Flow? Etc.
I'll be completely honest I Don't know fully what my parameters are I was using API it was junk stuff was always out of whack I will be getting new testing stuff soon but I feel this is more of Light issue then anything as the only thing added to the tank is All For Reef and 2 times a week Benereef and nothing like this was happening before then light ramp up it's currently 2 Nicrew 100s Whites 5 Blue 80 flow is 2 Jebao SOW-4s full speed on wave mode and my return pump set at 3 No water change in about 3 years the salt is Instant Ocean not Reef Crystals so that's where the All for Reef comes in

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll be completely honest I Don't know fully what my parameters are I was using API it was junk stuff was always out of whack I will be getting new testing stuff soon but I feel this is more of Light issue then anything as the only thing added to the tank is All For Reef and 2 times a week Benereef and nothing like this was happening before then light ramp up it's currently 2 Nicrew 100s Whites 5 Blue 80 flow is 2 Jebao SOW-4s full speed on wave mode and my return pump set at 3 No water change in about 3 years the salt is Instant Ocean not Reef Crystals so that's where the All for Reef comes in

Thanks for your honesty, it helps.

Well, where to start. Dinoflagelates and other algae is usually a case of imbalanced Nitrate and Phosphate.

Not sure what corals you have in your tank, but All for Reef needs to be tested and dosed appropriately. And Benereef can increase your phosphates greatly which in turn can cause algae.

No water change in 3 years? Wow, I definitely wouldn't do that and that can cause your issues too. No matter what you read and hear from "Reefers", water changes are essential. All 4 reef won't replace your all your essential parameters that a water change does.

Ok, lighting, yes if you're running a longer schedule or more brightness, that can contribute to your algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please post a pic or two for positive ID. Likely diatoms but cant confirm without pics

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a pic or two for positive ID. Likely diatoms but cant confirm without pics
Best I can get it's not alot but my phone doesn't do good with all the blue lol
20240421_182040.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Best I can get it's not alot but my phone doesn't do good with all the blue lol
20240421_182040.jpg
As suspected diatoms which can develop in new and established tanks. Thet respond often to bright light and change of light as well as addition of new rocks, sand and even when your di-resin is losing its useful life. Light siphoning, reduction in white intensity and addition of snails such as nassarius, astrea, margarita and trochus will help with control.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your honesty, it helps.

Well, where to start. Dinoflagelates and other algae is usually a case of imbalanced Nitrate and Phosphate.

Not sure what corals you have in your tank, but All for Reef needs to be tested and dosed appropriately. And Benereef can increase your phosphates greatly which in turn can cause algae.

No water change in 3 years? Wow, I definitely wouldn't do that and that can cause your issues too. No matter what you read and hear from "Reefers", water changes are essential. All 4 reef won't replace your all your essential parameters that a water change does.

Ok, lighting, yes if you're running a longer schedule or more brightness, that can contribute to your algae.
Actually believe it or not the no water change things has worked out perfectly everything is surprisingly stable All algae went away tank was clean only coral I currently have is a Toadstool, Duncans,Candy Canes,Frog spawn,Torch,Blastos and a Bubble Tip Anemone all are thriving and growing like weeds! The only reason I even started with all for reef is I had few bulk bags of instant ocean it never dawned on me I needed Reef crystals so just trying to add what I know wasn't originally in my water

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suspected diatoms which can develop in new and established tanks. Thet respond often to bright light and change of light as well as addition of new rocks, sand and even when your di-resin is losing its useful life. Light siphoning, reduction in white intensity and addition of snails such as nassarius, astrea, margarita and trochus will help with control.
Tank has been up 4 plus years I do have a clean up crew along with a Conch I am also taking a Turkey baster and turning over the sand daily as well when I got my new lights I wasn't sure on settings and someone here told me to turn my Blues to 80 after that is when I started noticing it popping up I did turn them back down to 70B 5W tillI can get the right settings down

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response I'll definitely stay on it helping turn the sand and kick it down it's my only real issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tank has been up 4 plus years I do have a clean up crew along with a Conch I am also taking a Turkey baster and turning over the sand daily as well when I got my new lights I wasn't sure on settings and someone here told me to turn my Blues to 80 after that is when I started noticing it popping up I did turn them back down to 70B 5W tillI can get the right settings down
With new lights, start low and ramp up until you find happy spot

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back