New to the hobby

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 65 gallon tank up and running. I purchased my water pre-made from my local aquarium shop. Got the temp set at 77 acquascape is all set and sand placed. I added 2 small clown fish and a bottle of Dr.Tims live bacteria. I've heard no lighting for at least 4 months to help stave off the ugly period. I'm wondering if this is true or regardless of when the lighting is turned on this phase will happen anyway? I do plan on adding microbacter clean in about 3 weeks once no ammonia and a yellow tang. Thoughts on the lighting timing please

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my 65 gallon tank up and running. I purchased my water pre-made from my local aquarium shop. Got the temp set at 77 acquascape is all set and sand placed. I added 2 small clown fish and a bottle of Dr.Tims live bacteria. I've heard no lighting for at least 4 months to help stave off the ugly period. I'm wondering if this is true or regardless of when the lighting is turned on this phase will happen anyway? I do plan on adding microbacter clean in about 3 weeks once no ammonia and a yellow tang. Thoughts on the lighting timing please

Welcome! Glad you joined. I've always dealt with the 'ugly' phase... builds character (or drives one crazy... I've both character and crazy) ... Would think keeping lights off for so long also strengthens patience, another great trait for this hobby. In my opinion, it will boil down to personal preference and what you can tolerate.

Yellow tangs don't tolerate much, so I would have your tank well settled to ensure happy fish, making sure your feeding and system are synchronized aka you are managing parameters.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

CypherSloth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’ve tried to have the mindset when starting a new tank like if it was how to strengthen the “immune system”. I prefer exposing my tank to ugliness while managing it properly to try to keep the system healthy and able to overcome things that inevitably happen. Or I could just be skeptical of alternatives

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. I've always dealt with the 'ugly' phase... builds character (or drives one crazy... I've both character and crazy) ... Would think keeping lights off for so long also strengthens patience, another great trait for this hobby. In my opinion, it will boil down to personal preference and what you can tolerate.

Yellow tangs don't tolerate much, so I would have your tank well settled to ensure happy fish, making sure your feeding and system are synchronized aka you are managing parameters.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks
Personally, I’ve tried to have the mindset when starting a new tank like if it was how to strengthen the “immune system”. I prefer exposing my tank to ugliness while managing it properly to try to keep the system healthy and able to overcome things that inevitably happen. Or I could just be skeptical of alternatives
Thanks.

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning

Attachments

• 20221031_210019.jpg
    20221031_210019.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 10

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and glad you are here! Personally I would prefer to deal with the uglies early on before you add corals. You look like you scaped with plans for coral placement ( by the way, nice scape) but that’s my opinion for what it’s worth. Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back