New to the salt water world

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I just started my very first reef tank (and salt water tank in general). I am not a newbie to the aquarium world however, I have been keeping freshwater fish for 10+ years. Currently I have 4 tanks up and running, 2 in my office (20g African cichlid mbuna tank, and 1 gallon betta tank), and two at home, ( 180 gallon African cichlid peacock/hap tank, and the new nano reef).

I live in a rural east Texas town so LFS is not an option for me unfortunately. My closest LFS is over an hour away. This mean lots of online ordering.

Here is a rundown on my new Salt Water aquarium.
2 months old and cycled fishless with dr Tim’s and ammonia.

16g BioCube

50 watt heater that I just had laying around (soon to be upgraded so give your recommendations on that please. It must fit in the rear compartment)

hygger 1600 dc wavemaker

Red Sea coral pro salt mix (with rodi from a local water store)

nature’s ocean live sand

nature’s ocean coral base dry rock

nothing special for filtration, 2 floss pads, a bag of ceramic rings, and a small bag of carbon.

livestock: 1missbarred clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 pistol shrimp (they are paired up it seems) 1 skunk cleaner.

coral: 1 hammer with 4 heads, 1 candy cane with many heads (still splitting more), 1 plate, 1 favia.

I do weekly water changes of 2.5 gallons and my last test reading was as follows.

nitrate 0
Nitrite0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Kh 180
Temp at night 77 day 79 (have not been able to keep it at 78, I think this is due to poor heater)

Please please please give any tips, pointers, things to watch for or change!!

I do research and I’m not scared to try any advise given!

happy reefing

B5BC28E2-4A40-420F-9951-674AC7BDFFB5.jpeg 87BE669B-3C91-45CA-B9F7-758DE69DD5CB.jpeg C4DA03AC-5C85-4E26-B11A-380D85B21DED.jpeg CF621FA2-5496-44C3-8EC7-3656890E549A.jpeg

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awsome. Sounds alot like my situation. been keeping planted and cichlid tanks for 30 years then decided to start a reef tank. I am also 2.5 hours away from the closest saltwater LFS. Glad to see your Gramma is out. mine only shows up at feeding time.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awsome. Sounds alot like my situation. been keeping planted and cichlid tanks for 30 years then decided to start a reef tank. I am also 2.5 hours away from the closest saltwater LFS. Glad to see your Gramma is out. mine only shows up at feeding time.

He is still a tad shy, but gets better everyday! Seems to enjoy following my clown around. He does have a cave in the back that he will go hide in from time to time.

OP
OP
Razorp

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Tank is coming along nicely! I'd watch that zero nitrates you should have some it's good for the tank.
giphy.gif

kind of what I was thinking myself. Should i skip a water change and see if they come up since i dont have very demanding corals at the moment?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back