New to the Salty Life

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Crossposted this on the thread for questions about fish to add but it makes a good introduction as well!

We (Mom, Dad, & 6 kiddos) are definitely new to this & have been soaking up all the info here that we can. We’ve had freshwater tanks before but this is a whole other ballgame. The whole family is staring down the all-but-empty tank daily.

We are currently cycling our first saltwater tank (20g 12”x12”x30”). We have live sand, live rock, & a few shells in the tank. We had a few beach hermits who came home from vacay as stowaways who we tried to save by a quick setup but we have learned what a mistake and unlikely save that was from the start. I almost gave-up completely when I realized just how unlikely it was for us to make that work but I didn’t know then what I know now. We have one single tiny strong guy left hanging. We’ve named him Atlas.

We’ve been reading, learning, cleaning, & cycling since. We are a week and a half in and I’ve spent more hours on the tank (research and working on it) than sleeping.

The plan is FOWLR & with our current setup, I’m pretty sure that’s all we can accommodate. Of course I already see the addict wheels turning in my son’s & my eyes.

Right now we have a standard filter, adjustable heater, hydrometer (not super accurate), & an ammonia level detector. Our light is an adjustable FLUVAL AQUASKY 600mm LED.

Our amazing LFS has tested our water and assisted with an unplanned water change when my daughter dumped pellet food in the tank & we couldn’t get it all out, causing a dramatic ammonia spike. I thoroughly cleaned the sand for a few days in a row. NO MORE PELLETS, lots of education with the kids, & a really high shelf have given me the reassurance not to give up before we really get started, and that we CAN do this the right way. Plus, we are totally addicted to learning about this world now.

We are back down to just above a non-existent/safe ammonia level.

We have absolutely no plans to introduce ANYTHING until the tank has stabilized. We want healthy animals. Our failed rescue has made me super cautious moving forward.

So, that’s where we are! Patiently {read:excited-and-ever-so-impatiently} waiting for that perfect moment & not a moment too early.

Here is our dream team cheat sheet- our list of maybe more than what will comfortably fit in our setup but options we all agree we love. We also haven’t yet asked our LFS how accessible these creatures are.

We would love to know your thoughts, deletions based on our limitations, or ideas about best to add first, etc...

We have time to make a good solid plan and we will of course adjust as we go forward as well, adding slowly.

We’ve tried to research each creature but there are certainly many different opinions out there.

Thank you for your guidance!

5AC56794-B6E9-4889-A957-80191C780225.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off Welcome to the group. We have alot of very knowledgeable and very open advice around here. The one thing I will say for sure with your fish choices you must have a lid on the tank. Some of those species are known to jump out of tanks. When you say a simple filter can you be more specific? The reason I ask, that will help us with recommending how many fish you can hold. Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Ask in a forum, ask in a PM(private message), etc. I for one will say I'm logged in almost 20 hours a day. If you need a quick answer you can always PM me.

Rich.

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off Welcome to the group. We have alot of very knowledgeable and very open advice around here. The one thing I will say for sure with your fish choices you must have a lid on the tank. Some of those species are known to jump out of tanks. When you say a simple filter can you be more specific? The reason I ask, that will help us with recommending how many fish you can hold. Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Ask in a forum, ask in a PM(private message), etc. I for one will say I'm logged in almost 20 hours a day. If you need a quick answer you can always PM me.

Rich.
Thank you! Right now we just have an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 but I’m already considering upgrading to a canister filter?

It is a small tank. We’ve been using poly filter to help strip the extra ammonia as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back