AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
De
Hello and welcome!!! We are glad to have you part of our reefing family.

You are off to a good start, asking questions right away. Remember, dont rush. Only thing that can and will happen quickly is devastation. Take your time adding livestock, and that includes corals and anemones. personally I wait at least 6 months if not longer to add corals and anemones

Now if you would like to add a clean up crew (snails, crabs, shrimp) that will be good after about a month once some algea starts growing and they have something to eat.

Also, as funs as it might be, especially for the kiddos, unless you are familiar with the water chemistry at the beach and what you are collecting, leave the critters at the beach and out of your tank. There is no telling what parasites or whatever else they could introduce into your system.

Please continue to ask more questions and post some photos.

Definitely! Was never mama’s plan & there have been tears shed.... but in fact, without those stowaways we wouldn’t have started this adventure & for that I’m forever grateful!

We had some snails, brittlestars, & one anemone hitchhike in on our most recent live rock.

We had a diatom bloom & a few days after that, an algae bloom- which the hermit crab seems to be enjoying. Pic is one of the youngest getting an education at our LFS.

F9C20132-7FED-45FE-993C-80F4213291C7.jpeg

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Seems like a good plan to start. I would recommend (as you have said) just go slow and research as much as you can on the needs of an inhabitant before purchasing it. You can always ask here- plenty of folks that will help!
Thank you. I definitely will!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
De

Definitely! Was never mama’s plan & there have been tears shed.... but in fact, without those stowaways we wouldn’t have started this adventure & for that I’m forever grateful!

We had some snails, brittlestars, & one anemone hitchhike in on our most recent live rock.

We had a diatom bloom & a few days after that, an algae bloom- which the hermit crab seems to be enjoying. Pic is one of the youngest getting an education at our LFS.

F9C20132-7FED-45FE-993C-80F4213291C7.jpeg

Awesome to see little ones involved. especially holding something that looks like it might eat you. Lol.

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this dry rock or live rock you received from someone?
Also you are going to need more flow in the tank with more surface break to help with gas exchange.
It was wet live rock from our LFS.
A second filter instead of an upgrade or like a wave maker?

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second filter would be ideal. One on either side.

Most likely what I think you are showing g us or questioning in pics are some sort of sponge.

Are you seeding the tank with anything during the cycle? Or any water changes?
Yes seeded with some ‘stuffs’ from our LFS tank. Forced water change due to the food ‘accident’ but I will start regular 7-10 gallon changes once the tank is more stable in a few weeks.
I can totally do a second filter with better room for filtration media.

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love and live by 2 products. Brightwell aquatics Microbacter7 and aquavitro Seed. Especially for new tanks. With the Aquavitro Seed you can have fish and coral in the tank the same day as setup. And then follow the regiment. I also dose it with WCs and anytime If i get a nitrite or nitrate spike.

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second filter would be ideal. One on either side.

Most likely what I think you are showing g us or questioning in pics are some sort of sponge.

Are you seeding the tank with anything during the cycle? Or any water changes?
We added the second filter (oversized) and WOW!

0F605406-9C4E-454C-997E-223FED6FDDDC.jpeg

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is **FINALLY** down to zero, nitrites have spiked and now the nitrates are showing high (hoping this means nitrites will start falling now), the diatom BOOM (not bloom) seems to be leveling off and I’m getting hair algae now. So I’m right on track in the tank cycling? I hope. The second filter set me back a bit I think as it is cycling too. Any other advice besides just keep topping off and water change this coming week?

image.jpg

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling for Atlas. He's certainly not going to starve to death with your diatom BOOM.. lol.
They're normal and can't really be avoided. When you get tired of looking at them in a week or two, you can throw in a snail or three

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling for Atlas. He's certainly not going to starve to death with your diatom BOOM.. lol.
They're normal and can't really be avoided. When you get tired of looking at them in a week or two, you can throw in a snail or three
B283B8C8-1738-40D4-99A1-32478D00DD34.jpeg
59E1F3BD-3D85-4014-8BAC-85AD119CF3E0.jpeg

He was guarding this hole for the longest- must be something good in there but he’s king of the mountain this morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back