Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, tanks look great!

What are your current parameters? When you change out the T5’s I’d do a couple bulbs at a time as to not “light shock” everything.
My current readings are:
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 20 ppm
Nitrite 0
Ca2+ 420
Kh. 120 ppm (a bit low, I think)

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor (2).gif

Welcome to R2R!!
This is a Great place for info and Help

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current readings are:
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 20 ppm
Nitrite 0
Ca2+ 420
Kh. 120 ppm (a bit low, I think)

Alk is definitely a bit low, I’d try to bring it up to at least 7. I try keep mine between 7.5-8, and everything seems to do pretty well there.

Nitrates aren’t awful high, but if the tank the favia came from was much “cleaner” than yours could explain the browning out... how are your phosphates?

Changing the bulbs out will definitely help, though!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is definitely a bit low, I’d try to bring it up to at least 7. I try keep mine between 7.5-8, and everything seems to do pretty well there.

Nitrates aren’t awful high, but if the tank the favia came from was much “cleaner” than yours could explain the browning out... how are your phosphates?

Changing the bulbs out will definitely help, though!
Right now, I don’t have a phosphate test kit. (Embarrassing, I know). I have one on the way, though. I’ve been running gfo and phosgaurd on the tank for a few months, though. I just started a chaeto refugium this week.

I use a canister filter for water polishing and extra biological filtration. I’m wondering if the elevated nitrates are coming from that. I just read something the other day saying that cannisters can be nitrate traps. Any thoughts?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I don’t have a phosphate test kit. (Embarrassing, I know). I have one on the way, though. I’ve been running gfo and phosgaurd on the tank for a few months, though. I just started a chaeto refugium this week.

I use a canister filter for water polishing and extra biological filtration. I’m wondering if the elevated nitrates are coming from that. I just read something the other day saying that cannisters can be nitrate traps. Any thoughts?

What is your maintenance schedule like? I think anything that catches detritus can be a nutrient trap if it can’t be “cleaned” periodically. Do you use a skimmer?

I think this is one of those things where there are many methods, I keep my system pretty basic... big skimmer, decent sized fuge, and weekly water changes (for the most part, sometimes I get lazy and go two weeks but I try to keep it pretty consistent).

You could start a post over in the “water chemistry” forum though, and get more specific input there once you get your test kit.

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your maintenance schedule like? I think anything that catches detritus can be a nutrient trap if it can’t be “cleaned” periodically. Do you use a skimmer?

I think this is one of those things where there are many methods, I keep my system pretty basic... big skimmer, decent sized fuge, and weekly water changes (for the most part, sometimes I get lazy and go two weeks but I try to keep it pretty consistent).

You could start a post over in the “water chemistry” forum though, and get more specific input there once you get your test kit.
I’ve been doing 30% every 3-4 weeks, but that’s my fowlr schedule. I’m realizing that I’ll need to do more frequent changes for the coral tank. I do use a skimmer. I’m thinking about taking the canister out of the system to see how it does. I’m reading a lot about more simple systems that only use the skimmer and a fuge. Now that I have my fuge seeded with chaeto, I’m tempted to cut out some of the other things.

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a big storm come through around 5 pm yesterday. No power all night. The power company says they hope to have it back on by 11:30 pm tonight. At this point I just hope that something survives. This sucks.

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B8FDDF80-3FE3-45A2-A291-A05ED4055C30.jpeg
DC43838B-1CF3-445B-A3A1-67EF99A0EA3E.jpeg
So it looks like I might have gotten lucky. When the power came on, I threw air stones into the tank to boost the o2. I’m mixing water for a partial water change. The ammonia in both tanks is only between .25-.5. Nitrates spiked to around 40ppm. I thought it would be much worse. Everyone seems happy now.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New-guy question, but why would there be any ammonia even after a power outage in a cycled tank?

OP
OP
Sharkbait HooHaHa

Sharkbait HooHaHa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in the live rock and sand bed will use up all of the available o2 because there is no water movement / gas exchange to replenish the 02. When it is depleted, the bacteria die off. When that happens, the ammonia spikes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back