New to this but I have a dogface puffer question!!

Marine_Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my DFP for about a month and he has been totally happy. The past 2 days I noticed he has been looking like he was covered in sand. Like Ich, but a lot. I heard somewhere that puffers couldn’t even get ich but I am ignorant to the subject. The parameters of my tank are all normal, aside from my salinity taking a strange spike from 1.025ppm to 1.027ppm. I have corrected the levels since but I am worried for my puffer. Any tips or advice?!

I tried to attach an image, if it posted, it is of him resting on top of a power head. He does this often and I believe he enjoys it lol

E29EC8FE-C1E9-4918-8620-CBAFE4542585.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R
Was the puffer quarantined, are there any other fish in with it, was something introduced into the tank recently? I'm no expert, but it may be velvet with how covered he is. Lets ask @HotRocks and @4FordFamily what they think

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Marine_Mama

Marine_Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can upload a picture tomorrow of whole tank when my lights are on, he is resting now that the lights are off and I don’t want to stress him out. He is in a 30gal, I KNOW he needs more room and he will be getting it soon. None of the other fish/eel have this on them.

Salinity is 1.025ppm
pH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0.25ppm (higher than normal)
Nitrate: 40ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Calcium: 460ppm

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can upload a picture tomorrow of whole tank when my lights are on, he is resting now that the lights are off and I don’t want to stress him out. He is in a 30gal, I KNOW he needs more room and he will be getting it soon. None of the other fish/eel have this on them.

Salinity is 1.025ppm
pH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0.25ppm (higher than normal)
Nitrate: 40ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
Calcium: 460ppm
Nitrite needs to be 0. Please get him a tank of 200 gallons or more. How long was the tank cycled?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be velvet. Being sensitive to bright lights and moving towards power heads are a few signs of velvet.
Seems that is the consensus. See if I went off of those two things about the powerhead and lights, my inexperience would led me to it had a hangover.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and sorry your intro had to be with a sick puffer :(
But that looks like velvet. Puffers don't usually do well in copper. Preferred treatment is with CP for ich/velvet.

Here's a neat chart that show which treatment is best for fish. There is a note below the chart specifically mentioning puffers. I have treated puffers with chelated copper (Copper Power) and the fish have done well. But it was prophyllactic treatment where as yours is needed to be at therapeutic levels ASAP. So CP is the best as you go directly to therapeutic level:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/#post-3449648

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/#post-2204093

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.3%
Back