New to this & I'm afraid my blue tang may have ich.

Cameron N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired some fish & a few live rocks from someone my mother works with who is leaving the state and cannot take them with him. This all happened over the course of a few days at the beginning of this month and I was and still am nervous, to say the least. I've done copious amounts of research to try to care for them the best way possible. I know that my tank (29gl) isn't nearly big enough to support all the fish I have, (3 clownfish, 1 cardinal fish, 1 puffer fish, 1 blue tang, 1 Japan surgeonfish, 4 damselfish, and 1 fish that changes colors and has a retractable horn) (didn't catch the name of this little guy sadly) but I didn't have the time or money to get anything bigger, yet. I'm looking to get a much bigger tank, something in the realm of 100+ gallons and more live rock\plants in the future. Now on to my question, I'm fairly convinced that my blue tang has ich, however, none of the signs of ich were visible when I first got it, there was some head erosion but that was it, so far none of the other fish are showing any signs of having ich. I really would appreciate any input on how to treat the entire tank as I don't have another tank to make a QT tank out of. I really like these fish, I've even gotten the puffer fish and the color-changing one to eat food that I dangle at the top of the tank. So to say the least I've grown more attached to them than I thought I would and Ireally don't want to lose them! Attached is a picture of the Tang in question.

blue tang.jpg

Ucyibd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like ich. Only way to totally eradicate it is to move fish to QT and have the tank fallow for at least 76 days. There is a tank transfer method(not familiar). Otherwise keep them happy and well fed and they can fight it off but it will always be in the tank.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back